Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Worst sports injury that happened to you personally

I'll get things started. And I'll rank mine at about 5 on a scale of 1-10, 1 being a bruise; 10 being decapitation.

I'm playing pickup basketball in Hermosa Beach, CA. Outdoors, of course. Me and my roommates are playing against a bunch of donks; guys who have no clue what they're doing basketball-wise, but are athletic and aggressive.

So I swat the [censored] out of this one guy's shot and get the ball on a fast break. One defender is with me and another is in pursuit. I'm running down the left side of the court and dribbling with my left hand. When I get to about the free-throw line, I slow up a bit, with the intention of blowing by the defender when he thinks I'm going to give up on the fast break and post up.

Unfortunately, this allows the defender in pursuit to catch up, and he trips at a full gallop and essentially tackles me collarbone-first into the support beam after I've made my move past the first defender.

Result: Fractured collarbone.

Runner-up. Also playing basketball. In high school. Guy drives the lane, I'm defending. He jumps, and I time my jump perfectly to block his shot. He realizes he's going to get rejected so he sort of flails his arms and legs and passes the ball away. One of his feet catches me square in the crotch. Pwntown.

I've also sprained my ankle quite badly, and once fell off the rim while trying to dunk and nearly stiff-armed the ground upon landing... but the above two were far more painful.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Worst sports injury that happened to you personally

1st place:
When I was 18 months old, I was playing with my matchbox cars, and I crashed it into a glass lamp-thing and my pinky was nearly seperated from my hand. Blood everywhere. COOL.
Self assessed rating: 6

2nd place:
When I was 15 I was making fun of this kid who I knew could take me but didn't think he would, well he picked me up and threw me on the ground. I passed out, my knee was torn, and the kid didn't get in trouble. EFG.
SAR: 5

Edit- playing with toy cars and running away from a wrestler and then getting bodyslammed are both sports.

senior year in high school, I was pissed at my coach, so I went to the beach (we weren't supposed to go to the beach, the reason for which will soon become clear). I was body surfing and, after catching one in a sneaker set smacked me upside the head, blasted my right (pitching) arm and dislocated it.

to make matters worse, it wasn't that bad a dislocation (my shoulders sublux, so it popped right back in), so I could kinda go on and pitch as if nothing happened. I couldn't tell him I was hurt because that would be copping to breaking a team rule, so I pitched with a bum right shoulder for the rest of the year.
Lost about ten miles an hour in half a second.

I dropped into Corbett's Couloir on hard pack snow day. It was my first run of the day and my first day at Jackson Hole. This is a pretty famous ski run and it was going to be my only chance to do it in a long while. I decided to go big. Result was a seriously bulged disk between L4 and L5. I could barely get out of bed for two weeks and was basically in pain 24/7 for 6 weeks. I'd give it a 5.5.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:08 PM

pickup game of basketball in the high school gym. I (well used to) have hops and could dunk anything I could get palmed.

Anyhow, I go up for a rebound on a fast break so I got a bit more oomph than normal. I grab the board and come down, landing foot first on another guy's foot. My ankle hit the floor before my foot did, and there was a loud pop.

I didn't break anything, but the bruise extended up to mid thigh. [censored] me it hurt like no pain I've felt since.

Real bad.
Self-assessed rating? 5.5
Worst one I've ever personally seen, as in I was there:

guy squared around to bunt and took a fastball to the nuts. No cup. Runner up: dislocated shoulder, QB got sacked and driven into the ground. ratings: 7, 6.5

One I saw on tv: Joe Theissman. If LT gets up off you frantically motioning for the doctors, you're [censored]. Rating: 14
Old 02-11-2005, 03:10 PM

Playing in a pickup tackle football game in high school at lunch one day. Caught a screen pass out in the flat and decided to try to elude a 250-pound kid by running through a ditch full of pointy rocks. Long story short, landed between a big fat kid and a pointy rock, hairline fracture right at the base of my tibia, knee completely filled with blood, gross.

They thought I had blown out an ACL because there was so much fluid they couldn't see the fracture at first.

Honestly, though, I've had a ton of run-of-the-mill ankle sprains that were way more painful. I've rolled my ankle to the floor from a standing position more than once. (See that TO footage on Sportscenter? Yeah, like that.) They're not that exciting or interesting, but blown ankles and knees are just the worst.

NT
Old 02-11-2005, 03:12 PM

Somehow, I knew you would have a lot to contribute to this thread. Good post.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:12 PM

Well, they're just lucky they didn't ask about non-sports injuries.

NT
Old 02-11-2005, 03:13 PM

Default worst as in stupidest?

sprained my ankle on a sprinkler head while running for the bus before a game. was late because I was hitting on a chick.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:18 PM

Worst I've ever received:

High school weightlifting. I threw shotput and discus all through high school and in my freshman year, I was weightlifting doing cleans (it's a clean-and-jerk where you don't throw the weight over your head, just so you know). I bent down to pick up the weight, straightened out, lifted and POP. The weight fell out of my hands and I was on the floor. I'd torn a muscle in my back and couldn't do anything but lay down for about a month.

Worst I've ever seen:

Track meet in high school. I was with some of my friends who were throwing javelin since I had a while before my events started and my coach was refereeing this event. A friend of mine who was one of the best javeling throwers in our league goes and mid-throw, someone runs out onto the field. My coach yells at him to get away, everyone is screaming for this guy to get off the field. He doesn't. The javelin goes through his shoulder. Good god.

Oh, at another track meet, I saw a guy get shot, but that wasn't related to the meet, so i guess it really wasn't sports related.