Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Giving Poker Lessons

When I first got into poker, I was obsessed with it. I read everything I could, I studied everything I could, I played and went over PT information as often as I could. Even more, I talked about it as often as I could, and my friends began to take notice of my success.

They've heard about a couple tourney wins and my cash game results, and have approached me about giving them poker lessons.

It is my intention to buy them each a copy of ToP to use as textbooks and go through each chapter and explain the concepts and theories etc. etc. - I don't plan on restricting them to hold 'em.

Anyone consider a better way to go about this?
Old 02-10-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Re: Giving Poker Lessons

Hi,

Although TOP is an important text, I don't know if many newbs will understand it at all without having some playing experience first. You could possibly start with Malmuth & Loomis' Fundamentals of Poker for the real basics, and Stewart Reuben's Starting Out in Poker would also be good. After that maybe Lee Jone's book for holdem. Once they have read those, I think TOP would be much more meaningful to them, and they would have a good foundation for studying more advanced texts like HPAP.

Just my thoughts anyway. Good luck. And if they blow all their $$ anyway or knock you out of the WSOP just out of the money you have only yourself to blame [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 02-10-2005, 06:46 PM

I agree about TOP being a bit too advanced for beginners. It's (IMO) the most important and comprehensive book on poker ever written, but it doesn't mean it's the best to start off with. I liken it to starting grade school with a Shakespeare play. It could work if you give them more of a base to start off with, like say give your own introduction and total beginner BASIC lessons.

Another thing - I think it would be better and facilitate their learning much more if you did focus on 1 particular form of poker. Generalisations and abstract concepts are much harder to understand without having something very specific to apply them to.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:49 PM

These people aren't retarded; they know what beats what, that its good to play cards that have a chance of winning.

Perhaps SSHE is better?
Old 02-10-2005, 07:31 PM

I agree that TOP will likely be too much for someone just starting out. When I started reading books on poker to learn that was the first book I purchased, I tried reading it and understanding it, but after about two weeks I put it aside - it was just too confusing without any skills on the poker table.

Bought a couple beginning books and I was able to test and implement the simple ideas there. Later I picked up the TOP book again and it was like a light bulb.

You have to teach them how to crawl first, then to walk, before they can run. TOP is for the player who is ready to run, but just hasn't quite figured out how to yet.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:42 PM

My thinking on this:

If you have to come on here and ask for "how to teach" advice, then you're not a natural or experienced teacher. Which is fine. But it means you shouldn't be thinking in terms of "what's the most logical and correct way to approach this project in the way a typical teacher would." Using TOP as a poker textbook for relative noobs is something someone with a plan might be able to pull off.

That's not the case, here. You have friends who asked you to help them duplicate your success.

Cool.

Do that. Take them by the hand, and walk them through the steps you took to get from relative noob to where you are today. "You want to know what I did? Here's what I did. It works." When the only teaching experience you have is drawn from your own past, use that material. Don't overthink it and worry about "doing it right" instead of "doing what you know already worked."

If you started with Lee Jones, start them with Lee Jones. If you started with SSHE, start them with SSHE. If you started with a crib sheet printed off some how-to-win-at-poker website, a $10 bankroll, and a maniacal addiction to .01/.02 limit games, start them that way.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:09 PM

I am sure they are not retarded but they need lessons which means their experience is limited. Because of this they have different gaps that need to be filled. Starting from the begining can't hurt can it? Unless they are finishing their poker career by June, what is the rush?

Imo SSHE ruins more new players than it helps.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:28 PM

you should probably charge them $50 or $100 an hour, or else they may not take it seriously and it'll just be a big waste of your time.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:38 PM

The method that I use on www.pokermentor.net which I believe to be most effecient and effective is critiquing hand histories. Everytime you correct a hand, it doesn't just teach them that exact combination of cards but instead the concepts in that hand can be generalized to whole areas of poker; like "how to play top pair in late position with x numbe rof players in" ect This is the closest thing to actually sitting next to them and telling them how to play. This is the way in which I was able to learn so quickly. However, you are correct in the belief that a twoplustwo book will complement your teaching well. I would suggest starting off with SSHE. Good luck in your endeavour -Mentor
Old 02-10-2005, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These people aren't retarded; they know what beats what, that its good to play cards that have a chance of winning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then I think they should get some playing experience before focussing on books. The books are going to be much easier to understand if they have a basic feel for a game. Set up a very low stakes home game where you all play together and whenever one of them makes a big mistake like playing a horrendous hand or not raising with the nuts, explain what he did wrong (when the hand is over). Make it pretty relaxed; maybe buy some beer. But also try to get them to take it somewhat seriously and try to play well or it will be a waste.