Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Throat cancer

I have weird knot in my throat and it has stayed there for awhile so today I chekced some web pages to make sure its not cancer. And to my big surprise I have many of those symptoms..
"What are the symptoms of cancer of the throat?

The earliest symptoms of throat cancer are likely to resemble the same symptoms that you may experience with a chest cold. Symptoms caused by a tumour in the throat may include:

* Persistent sore throat.( THIS)
* Cough and hoarseness. (THIS)
* Pain or difficulty in swallowing. ( Little)
* Swollen lymph glands in the neck. (THIS)
* Traces of blood in saliva.(No)
* Ear-ache. (THIS)
* Nosebleeds.(No)
"

So can anyone tell me sure way to findout I dont have it or shoud I just go to the doctor and take the risk of feeling [censored] silly when doctor says its just some pumple inside the throath.

I would be more worried, but I have smoked like couple of times tobacco in my life and drink very little alcohol.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Throat cancer

Just go to the Doctor. Why worry about feeling silly for misdiagnosing yourself. It is not your job to diagnose yourself. So, go to the doctor.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Have you been yeling a lot? I doubt your glands are acualy swollen. When they mean swollen lymph glands they are talking about when they become golf ball sized. There is a good chance you have a sinus infection or something similar.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:18 AM

everyone should get regular physical checkups from a doctor. so include it in yours. dont wait.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:12 PM

If by "knot" you mean a feeling of tightness, it can be caused by acid reflux. Acid reflux can actually cause a number of throat symptoms. How is your diet? Also, chronic sinusitus can cause the symptoms you mentioned. However, one would need to know about 1000 more things about you--your age, for one--and THEN do tests to actually make a diagnosis. Anytime you are sick for more than a few weeks, you should go to a doctor. Symptoms like yours are fairly nonspecific, and if the cause is not obvious upon examination, full history, etc..., he/she may want to (rightfully) rule out everything from mononucleosis to lymphoma. So anyways, go to your doctor. You will probably get some antibiotics or antacids and diet tips to make you feel better, while also making sure you don't die from something more serious.

PS- I am not a doctor, I just read the Merck Manual when I used to want to be one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 02-07-2005, 01:14 PM

Go get it checked. Do not try to diagnosis this yourself, a false negative may kill you (literally).
Old 02-07-2005, 01:37 PM

Just go to the stupid doctor, Mr. Hypochondriac. (Trust me, I know the feeling . . . )

There's a bug going around this year that causes a nasty ear-infection. My gf had all the symptoms you described -- well, not sure about the sore throat, but everything else. Took awhile to clear up, too -- she had to go on antibiotics, and there's a strain out there that's amoxocillin (sp?)-resistant, so if that's what they put you on, you might want to bring that up. Another person in my office had that ear-infection-swollen-lymph-nodes bug and ended up having to get her ears drained.

So see a damn doctor, you probably could use medical help right now, but don't get yourself into a tizzy, it's *probably* not throat cancer if you're relatively young!
Old 02-07-2005, 02:29 PM

1) Go to the doctor.

2) 95% of the time I use the web to self-diagnose something, it turns out I have cancer.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go get it checked. Do not try to diagnosis this yourself, a false negative may kill you (literally).

[/ QUOTE ]

DING!!!

He is absolutely correct! I did the self diagnosis thing and thought I had testicular cancer. I was flippin out I mean FLIPPIN OUT. I was nearly in tears so my girl took me to the speacilist. Turned out to be frigin nuttin. It also took him 2 visits to convince me.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:10 PM

Make an appointment today for a check up, itll be a week or so before they can fit u in, if over that time it gets better than dont have ur doctor FOCUS on that, just get an overall check up but mention to him about your throat. They will probably take blood either which way (for a check up) and just ask them to test for cancer cells.