Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Well that losing streak everybody said would come... is here

I've been playing $30+3's on party for about 8 months now, but only purchased Pokertracker 3 weeks ago. In the past 3 weeks I have played just over 200 tourneys, and I was pleased to see a 45% ITM and 36% ROI. I always play 2-3 tables at a time.

Tonight I set down to play some SNG's like usual and I just now finished 13 in a row out of the money (7 earlier, took a break, 6 more just now). A couple of the all in hands I experienced:

AK vs. AQ, Q on river
99 vs. 44, 4 on flop
QQ vs. A7 vs. 99, wheel on river
AQ vs. 66, Q on flop, 6 on river
73 in BB, flop 753, of course another guy had 64.

and not to mention losing every single coinflip possible.

My ego and ROI are hurting at the moment [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I don't think I played any differently tonight than normal, just got unlucky a few times. Any advice on handling bad losing streaks?

EDIT: by the way, I know this is just part of the normal fluctuation associated with playing poker... and I know I haven't played nearly enough tourneys to really quantify my ITM/ROI... I just sorta wanted to vent after a painful evening [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 02-04-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Re: Well that losing streak everybody said would come... is here

Don't worry, stuff like that happens. As long as you don't go on tilt, it's just a short-term bump in the road.

Some things that I like to do to keep myself from getting frustrated or tilty when I start running bad like that are:
- Take a shower
- Sleep
- Do homework
- Read a book
- Play the guitar
- Pretend like I have a girlfriend who cares about how badly my cards are running, a.k.a. talking to myself on the phone
- My favorite: Playing in a $5+1 tourney and going all-in preflop every hand no matter what, and seeing the reactions of the players. (It's funny to get your big blind folded to you in level 1 of a $5+1 SNG...it's even funnier to win one in 15 minutes by going all-in blind every hand) You're basically throwing away $6 but at least it's entertaining you're not tilting it off and being mad.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:03 AM

45% ITM / 36%ROI over 200 tournys.....Can't wait till Irieguy gets hold of this one....More fun than watching Roy get fed to the Tigers
Old 02-04-2005, 04:04 AM

Alright, man... you were unlucky enough to have me just read your thread after a really bad night, after a really bad week and I'm going to vent by flaming you for a while.

Let's start with the title of your post:

[ QUOTE ]
... that losing streak everybody said would come... is here

[/ QUOTE ]

You think 13 in a row is a losing streak? 13 OOTM in a row is like batting practice for a losing streak. 13 in a row is to a losing streak what a morning cup of coffe that isn't quite the perfect temperature is to a bad day. 13 in a row?! I can get you 13 in row by 3 o'clock... with nail polish.

Also, the bad beat list you made... that is very un-dude.

You can honestly tell me that you've been playing SNGs for 8 months and:

[ QUOTE ]
...73 in BB, flop 753, of course another guy had 64

[/ QUOTE ]

... is a noteworthy event in your life? Next you'll probably insert the gratuitous mellodramatic hyperbole...

[ QUOTE ]
and not to mention losing every single coinflip possible

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet.

Ok, enough flames. Let's get to your question:

[ QUOTE ]
Any advice on handling bad losing streaks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, first you might want to try having one. Then resist any urge to post some inane listing of completely routine beats and break some of your hardware like a normal person.

Irieguy
Old 02-04-2005, 04:05 AM

Thank you for the laugh, skipper. I seriously didn't see your post before I wrote mine.

Irieguy
Old 02-04-2005, 04:08 AM

game
set
match

Yugoslav

(Am I a mean person for laughing my $ss off for like a minute straight after reading this?)
Old 02-04-2005, 04:13 AM

As far as useful advice goes:

1. Quit for the day/night. Obviously it's affected you quite a bit so you're at *least* mini-tilting now (perhaps still able to play at a +$EV level but perhaps not).

2. I like the shower idea. Second most profound thing that guy has said so far.

3. Exercise until you are *very* beat. Don't overdo it and hurt yourself but do whatever will absolutely tire you out.

4. Read old (possibly archived) posts about *very* good players running into *huge* bad streaks and/or losing their whole roll. Keep in mind that they are *very* good, do this for a living, and turned out fine.

5. If a 13 OOTM streak is gonna hose you like this, then stop looking at your ITM/ROI if it will affect you this much. Just evaluate it once a month and spend any/all time you would spend oggling your ITM/ROI on looking over your HHs and plugging leaks/improving your play.

Yugolsav
Old 02-04-2005, 04:26 AM

i was doing the same thinking BadIrie clearly got his full alotment of Heineken tonight.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:26 AM

1. I realize losing 13 in a row is not a life changing experience. I was fully aware that there were probably people here who had lost more.

2. I had never PERSONALLY had a string of losses like this in one night and thought I'd share.

3. I really don't think I deserved your flamefest post. In fact, in the time it took you to quote each of my sentences and flame each one, you could have used a little tact and simply explained why I need not fret and next time not bother posting about such an unimportant event.

Irieguy, I've found most of your posts useful and informative, but this one I could have done without.

**I realize your point is that this really isn't that big a deal, and I won't post a thread like this again, but I still don't think the insults were necessary**
Old 02-04-2005, 08:06 AM

maybe switch to a smallstakes cash game? i switch between SNGs and limit and NL when i need a boost....or Halo2...but if you're strictly an SNG player i duno....

i LOVE the "5+1 all in blind every hand" deal...the players think you're stupid or something and scramble to protect their $6 investment and verbally vow to take your chips "next time you pull that"