Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Any home owners out there?

Some of you younger guys out there may not appreciate this thread, but it might be good for future reference none the less.

I purchased my first home about 2 years ago and haven't really made any improvements since I moved in (I did have new carpet put in last year). I am now in a position, thanks to poker, that I have some expendable cash to spend on improvements. So really I have 2 questions.

1) What are the best improvements (aside from adding square footage) that I can make to increase the value of my home?

2) I am in the process of having 3 of my windows replaced. They are all standard size 3'x5' windows. I paid $1500 for the job (through Home Depot) for the windows and labor. Did I pay to much? They are nice windows, but not top of the line. they are single hung double pane(sp?) windows. I may decide to have the rest of the windows replaced and wonder if I should get some other estimates next time.

TheRake
Old 02-03-2005, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Any home owners out there?

1) The money is in the kitchen, bathrooms, and nice wood floors, assuming some other room is not sorely lacking.

2) I have no idea, but I hope to hell you overpaid because I've got about 396749679346793467 windows that I want to replace in my house.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:23 AM

Patrick answered your first question, except for outside improvements.

This past summer I built a 22'x14' deck off my back porch. It was a 10'x12' concrete slab, and this imo has really added to the overall value of my house. I have a couple friends who are general contractors, so armed with them and plenty of beer, we knocked it out in about 5 days.

Something to consider.

As far as your second question, from what I gather, a lot of the work done by Home Depot is actually done by subcontractors. If you can, find out who Home Depot uses and see if you can get a better rate. A lot of the time you can't, since you get a break on the labor from the 'Pot for buying the materials there.

Good luck man. Oh, and if possible, see if you can add one of these:

(It's hard work being this lame)

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-03-2005, 11:33 AM

Which Improvements Pay Back

Basically, most improvements will cost more than they increase your home's value. If you do improvements, make sure its something almost any buyers will like (such as AC or a deck), and not something that suits only certain tastes (granite coutnertop, swimming pool).
Old 02-03-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) The money is in the kitchen, bathrooms, and nice wood floors, assuming some other room is not sorely lacking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget landscaping. Something as simple as adding a few trees or some flowers can do wonders.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget landscaping. Something as simple as adding a few trees or some flowers can do wonders.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Trees = awesome. Get them in there asap so they have time to mature. Also, finishing a basement might not return 100% of the investment, but a nice/big basement is one of those things that'll help you sell, assuming you're in an area that even has basements and not California or something.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Some of the real estate listings in my area will say "wooded lot." You go look at it and it has 2 trees.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:46 AM

Good link. Sadly the windows and the other I was thinking of (landscaping) seem to pay back a smaller pecentage of the amount invested. I was also thinking about putting some hardwood floors down in the kitchen which seems like it might be a good way to go, but it doesn't look like many improvements yeild much value when selling a home.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good link. Sadly the windows and the other I was thinking of (landscaping) seem to pay back a smaller pecentage of the amount invested. I was also thinking about putting some hardwood floors down in the kitchen which seems like it might be a good way to go, but it doesn't look like many improvements yeild much value when selling a home.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd defintely go get a tree or two if you're lacking in that area, though. It's not that expensive and a nice tree in the back yard (or the front) adds a lot. Plus, you've gotta get it in there and give it time to mature (or pay huge $$$ for an already mature tree).
Old 02-03-2005, 11:51 AM

yeah, I was a little shocked at the price tag on the windows myself. Unfortunately I needed to have it done right away. The window in my office is falling out of the frame and I just decided to get the ones in the bedrooms done while I was at it. The ones I got are definitely an upgrade and should help some with energy costs, but they seemed expensive.