Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 11:06 PM

Default would you lay this down?

i folded, but wasn't happy. this is a 10+1 at pp. would have reraised a month ago. is folding right here? results later, if they're interesting to people.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter

BB (t1200)
UTG (t895)
UTG+1 (t970)
UTG+2 (t685)
Hero (t740)
MP2 (t385)
MP3 (t495)
CO (t740)
Button (t1175)
SB (t715)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises to t125</font>

i fold...
Old 01-31-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: would you lay this down?

I have a hard time laying down AK in any game where my opponents will routinely reraise with AQ
Old 01-31-2005, 11:47 PM

Call and take a flop. They aren't very likely to have AA or KK, because you have an ace or king in your hand. Also if they have KK you can still try to flop an ace.

You can often take the pot off them on a lot of other flops if they have an unpaired hand and don't flop anything.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:52 PM

I'm assuming you have little or no reads on the players involved. Since the raiser could have Ax or Kx or a pocket pair and the reraiser could have hands like AJ, I would just call preflop and see what develops on the flop.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:51 AM

Jojo,

I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts on why you'd lay down AKo here preflop to a minraise and a reraise. Of the three options, raising, folding and calling, I've got to think folding is the worst option. Especially since you've got position on both of them. Absent a read I have a hard time giving too much respect to the min raise and the reraise could be quite a wide range of hands.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming you have little or no reads on the players involved. Since the raiser could have Ax or Kx or a pocket pair and the reraiser could have hands like AJ, I would just call preflop and see what develops on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just calling here cripples Hero's stack. It's either push or fold.

With a raise AND a reraise, I'm folding. We're probably up against a pair here. I don't want to hurt my ITM chances by taking a probable coinflip so early in the game.

If I read some modicum of discipline from the earlier actions of the villains, I'd probably push. But in $10+1, 22-TT WILL call you here.

EDIT: AK is like the US military: use it to project power, but try not to get in a fight. (er, not counting the current administration's misuse [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] )
Old 02-01-2005, 04:28 AM

i would've pushed. folding isnt terrible, but I do think it's wrong.

i personally would not call, but if you had a good read on these players and had reason to believe you could gain something by seeing a flop, i guess i couldn't be certain that you would be wrong to do so.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:51 AM

Yike. I completely misread the hand. I thought Hero raised and then folded to the reraise.

Anything other than folding to a raise/reraise with AK is out of the question.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:02 PM

why i folded: this is early on in a 10+1. play is crazy in these, and i consider myself a strong player at this level. if i push, i'm likely to get 2 callers, and maybe more: who knows? there're, what, 7 players left to act? this is the first round of play. it costs me nothing to fold. i believe i'll get in the money without this hand.

so it's a fold. discuss?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:01 PM

I understand that thinking but I think Id still take a flop. Its early but if you take out JJ with AK early you also have 2x the amount of chips to coast into the money with.