Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 01:57 PM

Default ROI to ITM ratio

I recently hit a cold streak in the $33 SNG on party, so I took a voluntary demotion to the $22 to get my head straight. I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but after a few hundred $33s I was running at about 33% ITM and 10% ROI. After a couple hundred $22s I am running at about 33% ITM and 40% ROI. Even though the bloated ROI is nice, I can't help but think that I'm not really playing any better because my ITM has stayed the same. It seems to me that moneying less often would make my ROI swings that much larger, so I could just be on a hot streak where my seconds are all turning into firsts right now. Any suggestions for working my ITM% up towards 40%, or "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and work on maintaining my ROI? Is there an ideal ratio of ROI to ITM?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: ROI to ITM ratio

[ QUOTE ]
I am running at about 33% ITM and 40% ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an unsustainably high ratio, IMO. Ain't no way 40% will hold with 33% ITM.

eastbay
Old 01-31-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After a couple hundred $22s I am running at about 33% ITM and 40% ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you sure your number are right? I estimate for 33% ITM, you need to have something like
31% 1st
1% 2nd
1% 3rd
to get 40% ROI. Wow! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2005, 02:47 PM

I wish I had the numbers right in front of me, but I'm not good enough to quit the day job yet. You're right that 31% firsts doesn't make sense, so I must be using an old number somewhere. That'll teach me to post from work before doing the math. How about we adjust the ITM numbers to 35% and the $22 ROI down to 35% and I pose the same questions? Should I be worried about ITM if ROI is staying high? Wouldn't being more conservative on the bubble to get a few more ITM cost me some possible firsts and therefore ROI?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wish I had the numbers right in front of me, but I'm not good enough to quit the day job yet. You're right that 31% firsts doesn't make sense, so I must be using an old number somewhere. That'll teach me to post from work before doing the math. How about we adjust the ITM numbers to 35% and the $22 ROI down to 35% and I pose the same questions? Should I be worried about ITM if ROI is staying high? Wouldn't being more conservative on the bubble to get a few more ITM cost me some possible firsts and therefore ROI?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends, some people are more aggressive on bubble resulting in low ITM/ROI ratio. I tend to monitor my ROI breakdown by different stage so that I could make sure I don't have leak at bubbles, etc. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...monitor my ROI breakdown by different stage

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry if I'm being a complete idiot today, but that sounds like fun and I'd like to do that but I have no clue what that is. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...monitor my ROI breakdown by different stage

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry if I'm being a complete idiot today, but that sounds like fun and I'd like to do that but I have no clue what that is. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
web page
if you are interested and have enough HHs, you can send me the HHs and I can run my program to generate the ROI breakdowns. I have perform it for several others 2+2ers. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2005, 03:38 PM

I've only played you four times and you've run badly in those games, but I'm pretty sure you're not the kind of player to have an exceptional ROI vs ITM ratio.

I suspect it's just a streaky run.

Lori
Old 01-31-2005, 03:53 PM

I suspect it's mostly streak too, that's why I'm trying to "fix the roof before it starts raining" as it were. I'm not sure I like your tone of voice though, lorinda, and I look forward to proving myself against you ITM someday. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rachel, that magical program of yours sounds great. I'll get my HH to you post haste.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:58 PM

Heh.

Just to clear up, although I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant, I didn't see any unnatural crazy aggression or anything like that that would lead to such a ratio.

Lori