Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Buffet, EV & Ethics...

A friend & I went to a seafood/sushi buffet and he started to peel the fish off of the rolls of rice, and eat only the fish, throwing away the rice.

I expressed some shock at this type of behavior and my friend expressed an equal measure of shock at my disdain.

I got to wondering;
1. Am I applying some sort of non-existent ethical standard to how someone else enjoys their food?

2. is the buffet the unique dining experience that allows you to maximize your food-EV, and you're actually the fool if they don't regulate this type of behavior?

3. are we, in effect, both just enjoying our dining out experience through different means and both right? i.e. me enjoying it my way, him enjoying it his way?
Old 01-31-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Buffet, EV & Ethics...

The sushi buffet I eat at is not keen on the idea of people trashing the rice, and I've seen them throw the equivalent sashimi charge on the offender's bill.

It is the buffet's responsibility to regulate it, but I would feel the same way you do about it.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:49 PM

eating at a "sushi buffet" cannot be +EV. who wants cheap sushi?

--turnipmonster
Old 01-31-2005, 01:51 PM

If it's an all you can eat sushi deal where they make your sushi fresh to order, then I think they commonly have a rule against tossing the rice. If it's a buffet that includes sushi where it's made ahead of time and put out on trays for people to pick up, I think your friend is increasing his EV. His Salmonella intake EV.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:51 PM

in truth, the sushi is OK but they do offer a bunch of non-sushi cooked foods that are surprisingly good. not like, Bellagio-buffet good, but it's also 1/2 the price...
Old 01-31-2005, 04:54 PM

If you did this at my favorite all-you-can-eat sushi place, they would (1) not bring you another order and (2) Add the price of the roll onto your bill.

Eating just the fish is +EV for the consumer, but -EV for the restaurant and thus is not allowed.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also 1/2 the price...

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were talking about todai until we got here. Maybe it was the eating co?

In any case, there are definitely buffets that tell you they will charge you for doing that. I don't think todai does this though, and i don't remember if eating co does or not. I think if they ask you not to, in verbal or written form it's bad form to peel the rice off. Otherwise it's probably ok ethically. I still don't do it, although maybe i should since my girlfriend eats about 10 dollars worth of food at a 22 dollar buffet every time we go.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eating at a "sushi buffet" cannot be +EV. who wants cheap sushi?

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-31-2005, 05:16 PM

My wife doesn't eat the rice either, doesn't want the carbs. She'll order sashimi, but when sushi's all there is, she'll 86 the rice. I don't think it's any different from taking, say, a lemon merignue pie from the buffet and only eating the meringue or the filling because you don't like the other part, or scraping the almonds off of trout almondine. You're eating the part you like and discarding the part you don't.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:17 PM

If you've got sushi to eat and you're throwing out the rice, you're completely missing the point. Go to Bob's Fish Shack instead.