Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 12:15 PM

Default Pot odds correct, but still..........

.25/.5 Limit game. 4 handed, player A on blind. UTG+1 folds, MP1 raises, dealer calls, player A calls. (we only play when we are shorthanded with 1 small .25 blind)

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] x. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Player A bets, MP calls, dealer folds.

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Player A bets, MP calls.

River: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. PLayer A bets, MP raises, Reraise from A, etc.

Player A: Full house, J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the hole.

MP: nut flush, A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Now, the MP is a bad player with no preflop discipline. But obviously here he is correct to raise, i think, preflop. when he saw that the blind called his raise with J 2, he got pissed. But the Player A correctly told him that he was getting 5 to 1 odds on the call, and his cards were suited. I understand the odds, but I would still feel dumb calling a raise that had already been called with those cards. Even if you pair your jack, you have to lay it down cause of your crappy kicker. What would you guys have done in the blind's (player A's) position?
Old 01-31-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Pot odds correct, but still..........

Pokerstove says that against a PFR who has any AA-66 or any broadway and a cold caller who has any pair or broadway, J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] has about 21% equity preflop. Calling getting 5:1 is super-easy if you're decent postflop, 4:1 would be marginal.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Pot odds correct, but still..........

I think it is a pretty easy fold. You not only have to consider hot and cold odds, but how much you win when you win the hand vs. how much you lose when you make a hand but lose.

Think of the difficulty of playing K-J against a raise and now think of your hand out of position.

I also think range of hands of first responder might be too wide but not really sure. Said another way, the range might be right but AA might raise 99% of time and 66 might raise 65% call 35% depending on the player as an example.

Cold caller might call with 99 100% of time but cold call with 22 10% of the time.