Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 03:50 AM

Default Aggression in SNGs

well I used to solely play SNGs. i stopped playing them in early december because I just wasn't making as much as I wanted to be for my time. I was regularly beating the $10+1 but wasn't having as much success at $20+2 so that may have also been a factor for me to sway away from them. my style in SNGs was always very tight.

so i played limit 2/4 - 5/10 for a bit but found it not fun and too much of a grind.

the past few weeks i have been strictly playing MTTs. over the course of the 2 weeks my style has changed from tight-aggressive, to general overall aggressiveness. i've been attempting many more steals, firing out at many more pots when i miss the flop, and even firing out on the turn. it's a much more fun style to play. i also noticed i usually had success early in MTTs and could build up pretty good chip stacks. but it is my endgame in MTTs which is lacking which got me thinking maybe i should try SNGs again with this new found style.

so here i am. i played 4 today (that's all i had time for) 2 $20+2's (1st and 2nd) and 2 $10+1's (1st and 3rd). yes very small sample size i know. but i noticed i was winning so many more pots i never would have won before. and also, when i had big hands, i was getting paid off big. i was seeing about 35-40% of flops.

is this a way SNGs can be won long term? also note i play at pokerstars which starts with 1500 chips which gives alot more room for error than the measly 800 at party which almost forces you to be uber-tight.