Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Is there a more sensible way to play this? BB vs Button

Party Poker $10+1 No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Button <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> (t760)</font>
SB (t1095)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t930)</font>
UTG (t875)
UTG+1 (t1375)
MP1 (t1530)
MP2 (t240)
CO (t1195)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button <font color="#A500AF">(Villain)</font> calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t250) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to t250</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t830 (All-In)</font>, Villain calls t410 (All-In).

Turn: (t1740) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t1740) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1740

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Td 8s (two pair, tens and eights).
Villain has 4h Kh (flush, king high).
Outcome: Villain wins t1570. Hero wins t170. </font>

I think I played this poorly,

The story so far:
Villain is loose agressive, has played about 40% of flops, will play most things.
I've played 1 or 2 hands so far that I've won preflop with 3xBB raises.

Preflop: I'd normally fold this, but I'm getting a free ride.

Flop: woohoo 2pair. Although there is a possible flush draw on.
Bet half the pot, I'm not sure why I bet this amount, I think I thought he might fold his nothing anyway or might call with overcards. I really have no idea.

In hindsight I think my flop bet was too small. I should have bet the pot.

As soon as I made the bet I started worrying about having given the flush draw odds to call.
Straight away the Villain raised me. (I'm pretty sure he would have raised a pot sized bet as well.) I thought I could rectify the draw odds situation by pushing, which I think is the second wrong thing for the hand. Although pushing still does not give him the correct odds to call on a draw. He called and the rest is history.

I think I played this all too fast and should have spent some more time thinking.

Is this just another of those "that's poker" moments or can I get away from this hand once the villian raises? Should I fold to the raise? Should I just call the raise and push on the turn? Is pushing the right response? He may have had a set, how much should this worry me?

I'm beginnning to think I should just fold the big blind preflop.
Old 01-26-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Is there a more sensible way to play this? BB vs Button

The villain made several large mistakes. You made zero large mistakes. This stuff happens.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Is there a more sensible way to play this? BB vs Button

Quote:

I'm beginnning to think I should just fold the big blind preflop.

If i folded the bb everytime, then i would never get 10th place, that wouldnt be quite fair, now would it?