Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How Many 2100FP's have we bought?
<100 5 35.71%
101-200 2 14.29%
201-300 1 7.14%
301-400 1 7.14%
401-500 2 14.29%
501-600 1 7.14%
601-700 1 7.14%
701-800 0 0%
801-900 0 0%
901-1000 1 7.14%
1k-2k 0 0%
2k-3k 0 0%
3k-4k 0 0%
4k-5k 0 0%
5k+ 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2005, 03:46 AM

Default TRUE OR FALSE ?

You can avoid every coin flip/race situation presented to you in a SNG and still win the SNG. (in other words you can win SNGs consistently without having to win a coin flip/race at least once during each SNG)

<font color="blue">I'm asking this question because I seem to be in alot of SNGs where my success is directly impacted by the outcome of a race situation (AK v. PP, etc.) I want to know how the good SNGers do it and whether they stay away from these or play such hands in a way to take the race out and replace it with skill re: post flop play --interested in the feedback </font>
Old 01-26-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: TRUE OR FALSE ?

The better players make up so many chips in the beginning of the tournaments, they rarely have to race off for all their chips.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The better players make up so many chips in the beginning of the tournaments, they rarely have to race off for all their chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

pokertracker tells me that i make a heap of chips early but i must be a crap player because i'm more often than not one of the short stacks entering say the 5th level of blinds

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 01-26-2005, 06:06 AM

Not only is it difficult to win an MTT by avoiding ANY coin-flips, I would guess that a significant percentage of tourney winners were all-in pre-flop and sucked out on someone in order to get there. Very, VERY few MTT's are won on skill alone.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:23 AM

may be true but question directed specifically at SnG's

stoneii
Old 01-26-2005, 08:38 AM

I guess this depends on what you mean by 'avoid' coinflip race situations.

You WILL need to push all-in occasionally with hands that will result in a race situation if you are called. Your pushing is an attempt to avoid getting the call, but sometimes you will get called anyways.

So... I answered false. You could probably avoid every call that you thought was going to be a race (up until the final 2) but you will be pushing and it will have the same effect occasionally. AND, by the final 2 (or even 3) you will need to race.

Also, those times that you build a stack, you will still want to race occasionally even earlier because this can be a good way to deal with short stacks. Their chips are worth more than yours, and so as long as your survival isn't on the line, the races are often worth it.

For example, if I hold 33 in the BB (blinds 100/200) and a stack of 4000, and then the SB pushes his last 600, I'm calling thinking I'm looking at a race.

Regards
Brad S
Old 01-26-2005, 08:44 AM

IMO, avoiding race situations in the first four levels is key. But once down to about 4-5 players, as the stack/blind ratio decreases to the point where most of those players are holding 10bb or less, then the confrontation becomes almost inevitable. In order to survive into the $ you have to take a risk or two. Just don't do it early. Let the Gus Hansen wannabe's mudwrestle all they want in the early rounds. Of course, when you have the stuff you stomp them, but avoid the 50/50s.

Opinions are like A**holes, everybody is entitled to at least one. There are others that play this just the opposite. They take the risks and build the big stack early, or go find another game. Just not my style.

Doc
Old 01-26-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Opinions are like A**holes, everybody is entitled to at least one.

[/ QUOTE ].

Lmao [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] - stoneii

Of course what you really need is a one armed consultant's viewpoint - saves all the "on the one hand...." [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2005, 08:51 AM

By playing to avoid coin flip you will also be indirectly playing to avoid fold equity.

Last 3/4/5/ you are in the sb or bb and have AK or 77+. Button raises x3BB. I will probably be reraising all in. If the button is stealing or raising a low Ax or small PP or Kjo then they may fold, hence the fold equity. If they Have a PP to face my Ak or Ax to face my PP then we have a coinflip.

I cant see how playing to avoid coinflips and the resultant passivity could not have a massive detrimental effect on your bubble play.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
one armed consultant?

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao, too.

But it is true. After playing the SNG games together for a year, you and I can both name the ones that play the "Big Stack or Bust" approach.

Doc