Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Is It Possible To Escape This Hand?

I think it's hand 7 of 33buyin on party. I raise UTG with AKs to 45 and am re-raised to 75 by a player that's been pretty active and agressive but hasn't shown down a hand. A player I have no read on cold calls in a late seat and the blinds fold, I call.

Flop is AAJ with a flush draw. I decide to bet out 175 into 250 and both players call. The turn is an 8 and brings a 2nd flush draw. Alright, so do they have AJ or JJ? I think it's very possible I was called by a combination of weaker Ace, flush draw, and pair of Jacks. I feel fairly pot commited now and if I don't check-fold I deffinately am. Alright, I will make a flush draw fold, a pair of Jacks is probably folding by now and I don't think a weaker Ace is going to leave so I push all-in.

The pre-flop re-raiser calls with QQ (lol) and cold caller has JJ.

Is there anyway I can find this out before going broke? Even if I am played back at, or slowplayed, how do I know it's not just a weaker Ace? Anyone think there is a way to not get broke here?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Is It Possible To Escape This Hand?

This is a Party 30, not the first level of the main event at the WSOP.

You have about 500 left. There is 600 in the pot. The rest of your stack is going in on the turn or the river, you cannot even consider a fold as you are not close to deep enough to get the kind of information that lets you know you are behind. Tough luck you ran into JJ.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:51 PM

You can't, but you can definitely play this hand better. For starters, the odds of a flush draw being in this hand are around 1% and that shouldn't even factor in at all.

It depends on how tricky and/or how bad both players are, but the last thing in the world you want to do is to make either fold.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't, but you can definitely play this hand better. For starters, the odds of a flush draw being in this hand are around 1% and that shouldn't even factor in at all.

It depends on how tricky and/or how bad both players are, but the last thing in the world you want to do is to make either fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you care to elaborate on a better way to play the hand. Though I know that takes more work than just saying it could have been played better.

And the chance of someone having a flush draw is 1%? How do you know? Did you do calculations based upon the types of hands we can expect my opponents to hold? That's strange that it's exactly 1% and not like 4% or .8%.

Great post.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you care to elaborate on a better way to play the hand. Though I know that takes more work than just saying it could have been played better. [ QUOTE ]
the last thing in the world you want to do is to make either fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
And the chance of someone having a flush draw is 1%? How do you know?

[/ QUOTE ]

I said 1% because it's probably not 0% but it's definitely a whole lot less than 2%.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:39 PM

So another worthless post.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So another worthless post.

[/ QUOTE ]

What suited cards are calling a raise and a reraise?
Old 01-25-2005, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What suited cards are calling a raise and a reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.

Generally, it's not a good idea to put people on a flush draw in a raised reraised pot. I think it's equivalent to putting someone on quads when you flop a boat.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:18 PM

-Is there anyway I can find this out before going broke?

Tell him you have JJ and if he calls BS then you know he's got at least one J. Only a moron would continue with bottom pair. Therefore, he must have JJ.

-Even if I am played back at, or slowplayed, how do I know it's not just a weaker Ace?

Tell him you have AK and see if he folds.

-Anyone think there is a way to not get broke here?

yes!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:43 PM

I'm not going to say his play is perfect (it wasn't) but I will say at the party 33 level you would get all in too. It is virtually impossible to not get broke in this hand once you are anywhere near pot comitted. You are ahead of a ton of hands and behind very few.