Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 08:31 PM

Default The ultimate job?

Ok, maybe not ideal for everyone, and it is hard work, but all these job related posts made me remember a job I was once offered. It was a few years ago, and the pay range was in the 70K range.

The job was environmental remediation of Johnson Atoll on the Pacific. It was ass kicking work, but the schedule ruled. Since it was on an atoll, they flew you out there for four weeks (five day a week working), then you got two weeks off. The beautiful part is that they flew you back home for those two weeks off.
What a lot of guys from hawaii were doing was listing Las Vegas as their home city (I believe some even put down the California Hotel as their home address). They were flown to Honolulu for a two day layover then flown to "home". the return had the same two day layover then it was back to work.

On the Atoll, there were no places to spend money, so their down time was pretty boring. lots of fishing and chillin, but no bars or stores to burn money. Meals and lodging were taken care of, so their week and a half in vegas was the only time they actually had to spend money.
I know some guys who did six month contracts and had a blast.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: The ultimate job?

That would be pretty badass if I were single and didn't have anything else to do.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:41 PM

the single part was the only reason I didn't take the job.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the single part was the only reason I didn't take the job.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right. Jobs like this one that are awesome if you're single blow huge ass chunks if you've got a woman to listen to every day bitching about how you're not there and then you've gotta go home and be her prisoner the whole time because you've gotta make up time. I've gone away from home for work for weeks/months at a time where it would've actually been pretty cool if not for this exact problem.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:05 PM

That sounds sweet, but I could have beat that. When I was in college my parents cut me off after I used my "emergency" credit card (which was in their name) and went $2,500+ shopping spree. So, I had to find a part-time job to continue living in the lifesyle I had just grown accustomed to. So I thought to myself, "where is the one place in the area that I could get up and not dread going to work". After a few hours I had the the best idea. I was going to work in the mall. But not just in the mall. I was going to work at Victoria's Secret.

I went down and picked up an ap, filled it out, and returned it the next day. I was called in for an unterview a few days later and was offered a sales position. The young lady interviewing me said, "You'd be suprised how often women shopping there are in neeed of a male's opinion". To my delight I was hired and in heaven. However, the hours they needed me to work conflicted with my class and athletic schedules. I never got to work even one day there. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2005, 09:09 PM

johnson island was and i think is still a storehouse for chemical weapons and is an environmental house of poison. they stored agent orange there for years and the barrels leaked all over the place. you are lucky you didnt get that job. my good friend joe wallace worked there for years. i still think about him.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to work at Victoria's Secret.

[/ QUOTE ]
Brilliant.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:39 PM

wearing a level A suit for work in the tropics isn't exactly my idea of fun. I'd be protected, but would probably lose half my body weight each day. unlimited reefs for fishing after work, though.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:27 AM

My old roommate has about the best job I know of.

Basically he is a counselor for troubled youth, but instead of the normal crap you would associate with this job it is his responsibility to dispense positive re-enforcement to the kids that have been good for the past week/month/whatever. Essentially, he contacts the parents and if their kid hasn't gotten into trouble he stops by their place and takes the kid out to have a good time. Either he goes to a movie, or goes down to the video arcade, or goes and plays putt-putt ... whatever random thing the kid wants to do. All of this is on his expense account ... and he even sets his own hours.

I have no clue what he gets payed, but it basically tops any random "working for the man" job I had ever heard of.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That sounds sweet, but I could have beat that. When I was in college my parents cut me off after I used my "emergency" credit card (which was in their name) and went $2,500+ shopping spree. So, I had to find a part-time job to continue living in the lifesyle I had just grown accustomed to. So I thought to myself, "where is the one place in the area that I could get up and not dread going to work". After a few hours I had the the best idea. I was going to work in the mall. But not just in the mall. I was going to work at Victoria's Secret.

I went down and picked up an ap, filled it out, and returned it the next day. I was called in for an unterview a few days later and was offered a sales position. The young lady interviewing me said, "You'd be suprised how often women shopping there are in neeed of a male's opinion". To my delight I was hired and in heaven. However, the hours they needed me to work conflicted with my class and athletic schedules. I never got to work even one day there. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that you care, but you have instantly attained mucho respecto from me. Its a damn shame it didnt pan out. As a consolation though, odds are high that you wouldve been dealing a lot with nasty looking chicks that lingerie just cant fix.