Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 12:32 PM

Default When would you limp?

Is there ever a reason to limp in the middle stages of a S&G?

To get the hypo complete, lets say we are on Party Poker, blinds are 50/100 or higher and there are four or five players left.

Other than completing in the SB, would you ever limp as the first into a pot at this stage of the game? If so, what kind of hands would you limp?
Old 01-25-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: When would you limp?

I don't think I would ever open limp at that stage. Maybe AA UTG, but probably not even then. If I had a large stack (1st or 2nd place, >20BB) I might limp behind a limper with a hand like JTs, but not unless I had a comfortable lead on the limper and BB. If my stack is big enough to limp in middle rounds, it's usually big enough to bully with, which I probably wouldn't start to do until BB was 150. (This is probably even more true with 800 starting chips, rather than 1500).
Old 01-25-2005, 02:56 PM

I agree. In a longer format tournament, I might limp occassionally in the middle stage with a variety of hand -- primarily to mix it up or play into a LAG still to act. In a typical S&G, I can't find a reason to open limp at this stage -- but I see it often.

Anyone else disagree?
Old 01-25-2005, 03:04 PM

At this level, I might limp in the small blind against an aggressive big blind who pounces on perceived weakness.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:28 PM

The only time I limp in the middle stages of an SNG is when I have AA or KK AND I am acting before one or two agressive players that I have seen punishing other limpers during the early stages of the tournament. Usually I will raise those big pairs, but if I think there is a very good chance I can trap an aggressive player behind me, I'll limp to mix it up a bit.