Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Online Random Card Generators

Alright guys i'm new to 2+2 so if this post is in the wrong topic don't jump all over me please

Does anyone have any thoughts on random card gens? I know basically we see at least double the number of hands per hour as a b&m but I still seem to see odd match-ups of hole cards, extreme river beats and odd strings of wired cards etc.

I am questioning my play lately but also other factors as i'm down about $1000+ in my last 5-6 sessions playing $5-10 at www.fulltilt.com. I seem to be experiencing a number of bad beats lately. Play considerations aside does anyone have anything to conjecture about random generators?

-andy [color:blue] [/color]
Old 01-25-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Online Random Card Generators

Each site has information about the RNG that they use.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:22 AM

a 100BB swing is not terribly unusual. maybe you should review your play rather than assume that the sites are cheating for some reason.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:18 PM

Yeah, like this hand I saw this weekend.

Capped preflop, lots of raising on the way, turns out the original raiser (unimproved KK) met up with the raise capper (unimproved AA), and the guy in the middle (with pocket 7s) took the pot down with his flopped set.

Pocket KK, AA, and 77 all together. Unfortunately, it happened in a live game, so no one could blame the RNG.

More proof that B&M poker is rigged.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:33 PM

I'm totally certain all large and reputable online sites have a better shuffle than the very best dealer in Vegas has. (By a factor of like 200 billion or so.)
Old 01-25-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a 100BB swing is not terribly unusual. maybe you should review your play rather than assume that the sites are cheating for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's not unusual a swing and if you thoroughly read my post you'd realize i'm not 'assuming' anything. I have been looking at my play but thought maybe someone may have an intelligent thought or two regarding the RNG software. So please don't jump all over me about that as I did disclaim 'play considerations aside' ...

Is it in the realm of possibility that big hands might come up against each other more often to create action? Or that favorable turns and rivers for both hands may also come up more often for the same reason?

Let me further disclaim that I personally lean more towards the view of online card rooms being on the 'up and up'. I have been listening to other players griping about this a lot lately and have always had the response that

a) You just see so many more hands per hour that statistical abnormalities in hand matchups are bound to be more noticeable
b) random generators are much more 'random' than human shuffling
-as an addendum to this second response my question isn't about the theoretical randomness of RNGs vs. Human Shuffling. A perfect RNG would by definition randomize perfectly with absolutely no memory or bias. I am more gearing my question towards people that know the source code the RNGs would use and could venture a guess as to whether they could be written with Bias to create action or possibly have memory?

thanx for any responses in advance, Andy
Old 01-25-2005, 02:31 PM

Use the search function, someone here was bored and analyzed a few 100ks of hands from Party Poker and came to the conclusion they were all as expected.
Old 01-25-2005, 06:05 PM

I believe it is linked in the FAQ in the Zoo (internet forum).
Old 01-25-2005, 07:17 PM

I know a little about RNG's, and from what I know it would way more hassle than its worth to engineer them to provide 'action' and yet not be obviously deficient when subjected to any statistical analysis
Old 01-26-2005, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Use the search function, someone here was bored and analyzed a few 100ks of hands from Party Poker and came to the conclusion they were all as expected.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's also this link.
http://www.pokerroom.com/main/page/games/cardStats