Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Flop Nut Straight on Rainbow Board.....

I knew once I raised it I risked scaring the Button out. Would it have been better for me to raise the flop and hope to get 3 bet THEN go for overcalls on the turn?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (8 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 12 BB
Old 01-24-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Flop Nut Straight on Rainbow Board.....

I would fold this PF. Barring that, I would probably raise the turn since anyone with a 10 has a straight, and you like that very much. MP2 led out again with a 4 straight on the board, so he could have 2-pair or a set, and you don't want him drawing for free.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold this PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is CO with 2 others already in the pot ahead of him. You fold QTo here????

I don't.

Adam
Old 01-24-2005, 10:15 PM

and one of the two already in the pot is a poster.
I think this is an easy call.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:17 PM

I'm uber-tight with offsuit broadways. I may be flushing money down the toilet by not playing them, but I'm always up for suggestions.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:17 PM

Preflop: Good.

Flop: I agree with slowplaying here. It's a rainbow flop, and you've got a nut straight. Very few cards on the turn are going to be "scare cards" for you. The pot still isn't very big, so just call, hoping for overcalls (and maybe even a raise behind you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Turn: You have to raise here. If anyone else has a 10, you're going to get paid off large as they might even raise back. It kinda sucks that you may push others out of the pot, but that'll be worth it the number of times someone has a 10.

River: Good - but likely would have played differently had you raised the turn.

Adam
Old 01-24-2005, 10:26 PM

Anyone consider raising the flop? Depending perhaps on the level of aggression in the game...
Old 01-24-2005, 10:44 PM

maybe if it's suited, as you said depending on how the table is, but not with QT unsuited.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:46 PM

grease: stop flushing money down the toilet (but if you have a lot of trouble playing offsuit broadway postflop, it's better to fold the more marginal hands than to play them. but it'd be even better to figure out how to play them effectively after the flop... post some hands!)

original poster: hands with a well disguised nut straight where you're merely trying to figure out how to extract a lil extra probably shouldn't be your area of primary concern. when in doubt, be aggressive. no one's giving you credit for the flopped straight. if you're slow-playing, you should have a thoroughly well-reasoned line of thinking to support it... speaking in broad generalities.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe if it's suited, as you said depending on how the table is, but not with QT unsuited.

[/ QUOTE ]

No no. I said "raise the flop."