Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Lay down AA, pre flop?

Sorry I don't have the hand history, site dosen't offer it yet. It was a $50 multi table tourney with 123 players and it was the first hand, everyone starts with 1,500 chips. I'm on the small blind. I'm going to assume this guy is telling the truth just for the sake of discussion. First to act (after hand, says he had AA) calls BB for 30 chips, next 2 players call the BB for 30, 4th to act goes all in with 6-7 suited (I guess trying to steal? or to get a call later when he has a big hand, who knows) next guy has J-J he calls in the all in, behind the J-J is K-K he calls the all in, behind him is A-K suited and he calls, i'm on the small blind with a pair of 4s and throw them away like they were on fire, and the BB folds. Guy that acted first sits there and his clock finally gets down to 00 and he folds. So he folded with 6,135 chips in the pot and he was holding AA pre flop against 4 all ins. I put in the odds later 6-7 suited-21.8% to win the hand, JJ-15.7, KK-9.2, AK suited-8.4, AA-44.8. Guy could be lying but lets jus assume he did have AA. What would you guys do with AA pre flop with 4 all-ins ahead of you on the first hand a tournament. Thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Lay down AA, pre flop?

a few months ago I woulda said fold.... Now I see the error of my ways. You call and thank God you have AA when 4 others are all-in

Robbie
Old 01-24-2005, 08:26 PM

I'd push my chips in immediately after I splooge my pants
Old 01-24-2005, 08:38 PM

If you are the best player there you fold and realize that yes you had the highest percentage to win the hand but if you add up the other percentages you are an underdog to the table. If you are average player push your chips in and pray that you can dodge four other random hands. Including the draw that has the highest percentage to crack your aces the 67 suited and pairs that only need to spike one card to beat you. With all these hands in all in pre flop the skill is gone and its all about who can get lucky. Thats not my brand of poker.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:38 PM

Nobody is good enough to have a sufficent advantage over the field in any tournament to pass Aces pre flop with the chance to quadruple your stack on the 1st hand. One of the top pro's Lederer (I think) was asked a similar question in the context of the 1st hand of the WSOP answer, "I call everytime". If anyone might be good enough to have an advantage by folding Aces it might be Lederer but if it good enough for him then they are good enough for me.

Ross
Old 01-24-2005, 09:39 PM

someone really needs to make a list of these posts!! jeez.

Pat
Old 01-24-2005, 09:53 PM

The thread that never dies. Every other week, it seems like, this same question gets asked ... and the answer is always the same (for the most part).

Don't fold A-A pre-flop. Never ever ever. In any situation. If you don't play that hand and take the chance to double, triple or quad your stack with those cards, then stop playing poker. Just don't every play again.

GOSH!
Old 01-24-2005, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't fold A-A pre-flop. Never ever ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
At the beginning of a tournament, yes. But in some bubble situations AA should be folded.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:57 PM

sorry, i dont have time to read all the threads to know what questions have been asked over and over. This hand just came up in a tournament i was in yesterday and I just wanted to know what people thought. 6-7 suited won the hand with a flush.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:08 PM

I would never fold AA preflop. You have odds/equity to do it with 10 all ins.

On the bubble, you really are just playing for the money if you fold there.

SWUSC