Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 01:34 PM

Default AK facing 3 bets in SB. Fold, cap, or call? Then what?

Both opponents are TAGs.

I thought about mucking this preflop. Is this the spot where AKo needs to be tossed?

I was going to fold the flop unless I spiked a K or A. But, for only 1 bet I'm calling this with my backdoor nut flush/straight draws + overcards.

Turn is interesting. Should I fold? I think I might be chopping at best. 3-betting doesn't gain me anything, as MP2 is likely drawing very thin or is way ahead. He will 3-bet if he's ahead and I can dump without investing any more bets. If he's behind, he may fold to my 3-bet. And, if the button has AA or QQ, he'll just cap my ass.

I called the river for the same reason I called the turn raise.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (10 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: (16 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB
Old 01-24-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: AK facing 3 bets in SB. Fold, cap, or call? Then what?

[ QUOTE ]
I was going to fold the flop unless I spiked a K or A. But, for only 1 bet I'm calling this with my backdoor nut flush/straight draws + overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why'd you change your mind? If you don't flop an ace or king, you're going to have overcards. You're pretty likely to have a backdoor straight draw (all you need is a jack, queen or ten to flop).

In other words, preflop, you decided to fold this flop, and then when this flop came, you decided to call. Why? Does the backdoor nut flush draw add THAT much value to your hand? Especially against two tight aggressive players and a preflop cap?

-McGee
Old 01-24-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why'd you change your mind? If you don't flop an ace or king, you're going to have overcards. You're pretty likely to have a backdoor straight draw (all you need is a jack, queen or ten to flop).

In other words, preflop, you decided to fold this flop, and then when this flop came, you decided to call. Why? Does the backdoor nut flush draw add THAT much value to your hand? Especially against two tight aggressive players and a preflop cap?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting 19:1 on my call, essentially closing the action. Yes UTG+1 could CR, but I didn't think this was likely. I think I have to call this. Not even an option, really.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:08 PM

Keep in mind that spiking an A or K might not be good enough and that you are not closing the action.

But that's not the point of my post. The point of my post is that you decided, after calling the cap preflop, "I'm going to fold if the flop comes Q82."

Then, the flop came Q82. And instead of folding, you called.

Why'd you changed your mind?

-McGee
Old 01-24-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Keep in mind that spiking an A or K might not be good enough and that you are not closing the action.

But that's not the point of my post. The point of my post is that you decided, after calling the cap preflop, "I'm going to fold if the flop comes Q82."

Then, the flop came Q82. And instead of folding, you called.

Why'd you changed your mind?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I had to reevaluate after the flop, and the backdoor flush draw was enough to make this a call.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:48 PM

Some preflop thoughts

GOT's original post

Keep in mind the rake and blind structure are more favorable, the preflop raising standards are probably wider in the 15-30 game and being live (at least the fictitous version), reads may be easier.

I would fold against two TAGs in your case given 3-6's tighter raising standards, two TAGs, and the more unfavorable blind and rake structures.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both opponents are TAGs.

I thought about mucking this preflop. Is this the spot where AKo needs to be tossed?

Turn is interesting. Should I fold? I think I might be chopping at best. 3-betting doesn't gain me anything, as MP2 is likely drawing very thin or is way ahead. He will 3-bet if he's ahead and I can dump without investing any more bets. If he's behind, he may fold to my 3-bet. And, if the button has AA or QQ, he'll just cap my ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding what I have bolded above: You see how one bad decision snowballs into another ?? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

You've already said both your opponents are TAGs. Therefore, FOLD AKo PREFLOP when it's 3 bets to you. (But cap with AKs).

Adam
Old 01-24-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Both opponents are TAGs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding what I have bolded above: You see how one bad decision snowballs into another ?? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

You've already said both your opponents are TAGs. Therefore, FOLD AKo PREFLOP when it's 3 bets to you. (But cap with AKs).

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I'd be more inclined to call with AKs, to see if TAG #1 caps.

Interesting hand -- glad to add a little bit more knowledge to my game.

Rob
Old 01-24-2005, 02:07 PM

I am not opposed to mucking this preflop. You are out of position, and at best you are a little behind preflop. You may be drawing to chop. That said, I cap that mofo preflop.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:18 PM

If you are going to see the flop (which you should), your plan should not be to fold unless you are facing more than one bet (or its a board where your overcards have little or no value). Your getting 19-1 on your call. With implied odds, you should be calling with as little as two overcards in this situation.