Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Another 200NL UB hand

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG ($243.05)
UTG+1 ($205)
MP1 ($194)
MP2 ($225.25)
MP3 ($213.55)
CO ($142.60)
Button ($93.20)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($114.95)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($203.70)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $2, MP2 calls $2, MP3 calls $2, CO calls $2, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($12) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $20</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, SB calls $12.

Turn: ($52) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($52) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $30</font>, Hero calls $30.

Final Pot: $112

I'm posting some not-that-interesting hands since I want to find out as soon as possible if I'm making mistakes at these new limits for me.

Is this line routine?
Old 01-24-2005, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Another 200NL UB hand

Uh, why didnt yu fire a shell on the turn??

I mean if you are gonna call the river....after kings pair...why not use that 30 on the turn and see where you are at??
Old 01-24-2005, 06:18 AM

Because there was a chance he hit a flush, and a smaller chance that he hit a straight. I don't think I will get him to lay down a better hand than top trips, so I figure checking the turn and calling the river will win more money than betting the turn and checking the river.

As In I might get some of his bluff money.

Also, I am in a bad spot if he checkraises the turn or pulls a stop-n-go on the river.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:34 AM

YOu find any dummies at that limit ?
Old 01-24-2005, 06:41 AM

Unfortunatly no [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I've seen a few bad plays, but no horrible plays yet.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:13 AM

(as to why you didn't bet the turn)

[ QUOTE ]
Because there was a chance he hit a flush, and a smaller chance that he hit a straight. I don't think I will get him to lay down a better hand than top trips, so I figure checking the turn and calling the river will win more money than betting the turn and checking the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not betting as a bluff (getting him to lay down a better hand) and you dont care if he c/r's you. (Vs a flush you only have 4 reliable outs, the king is shady) If you had the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I'd probably check. I doubt he has a flush, anyways, it's rare for a SB to lead out into that much of a field w/ hearts (they'd be low hearts) on a board like that. MAYBE something like QJ [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], but the turn dispels that notion. And I think QJh pushes the flop. Anyways...

You're betting for value vs a weaker ten, (very possible) long king, (very possible) and you can fold to a c/r. Unless it's a min c/r, in which case I'd get angry, pray to hit my full boat so I can bust this motha fucka.

I think you're ahead far too much on the turn, plus, there are a bunch of cards on the river which could hard your hand. (Well... Not too many. really just the K and another heart, except for the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I guess)

Hope it worked out, I doubt he's value betting a flush on a two pair board, so I think he had Kx here. Maybe KQ, actually. My bet is KQ. But I wouldn't rule out alot of hands.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You're betting for value vs a weaker ten, (very possible) long king, (very possible) and you can fold to a c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

I get a call from a king? Maybe I guess, but would he call the river too with just a K? If he doesn't call the river then I think check turn bet/call river wins more money.

Anyways, if I bet turn and he calls, I assume I bet the river too? I guess that's ok, but would it be any better than checking the turn and raising the river if he has the ten? The only risk here is about a 25% a card comes down that kills the action (like it did in this case).

So I guess what I'm asking is, besides a bad river card, where am I giving up any value by checking the turn?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:52 AM

DAMNIT. I replied then my internet went down. Ok...

[ QUOTE ]
I get a call from a king? Maybe I guess, but would he call the river too with just a K? If he doesn't call the river then I think check turn bet/call river wins more money.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bet 1/2 pot on turn a king may or may not call you. But whether they fold or call, it's better then allowing them to see a free river. A few resons:
1. By checking the turn, a king wont "bluff" the river, but MAY call a small bet. (They'd be in a check-call river mode) So if they'd fold the turn but call a small bet on the river, yes, you lose value by betting the turn
2. If they have something like Kx X [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] you're giving them 10 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) free outs to beat you. That's too many. If your opponent will call a bet in this spot, perfect.
3. You lose value from weaker tens, because, once the river hits, assuming it's *not* an action killer, you can NOT raise his river bet. I'm going to repeat this: You can't raise w/ trips tens/ace kicker on that board. Unless they'd call with worse tens.

However, by betting the turn, you build the pot so you wont need to raise the river to get the same amount of money in.

On the river, it's unlikely, although possible, he's betting tens full for value. It's alot more likely he has KKKTT. I would be shocked if he was betting a flush or straight, as well. Unless he thought you'd call w/ ace high.

I hope I got the same stuff down as I initially wrote, I dont want to glaze anything over.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:24 AM

stop-n-go. I've seen that used a couple of times now. What is that?
Old 01-24-2005, 02:17 PM

Stop-n-go refers to when you call some ones bet/raise when you are out of position, and then on the next street you bet out. I like to do this when I'm out of position and I have a decent hand on the flop, and I suspect my opponent is betting/raising a draw. I flat call, and if the turn bricks, I bet out.

I imagine it's used a lot more in limit than no limit.