yet I've done much better in these tough games than in the fish filled world

of the Tropicana's low limits.

The differences I see are as follows:

IRL

Many more fish.

Never quite sure where I'm at in the hand because of the wide range of

hands the fish will call with.

I loosen up some (basically following closer to the Gary Carson style

rather than the S&M style) in these games.

Make very few moves and only go to showdown with a strong hand against

fish but will make some moves against other regulars.

Harder to make a laydown with a semi-strong hand.

Many more tough players.

Almost always know where I stand. Understand the strategies and plays by

most players.

More aggressive and make more moves.

Kinda puts an end to the conspiracy theories eh? Anyone have any

advice/suggestions? I've become extremely frustrated as of late and have cut

down the 2-3 time a week visit to Atlantic City back to 1. If I had the

bankroll I'd give a shot to a higher limit live game as I think I'd probably

do better than in the low limt oceans. Am I lying to myself there? Sorry if

this post sounds like a moan session but I've gotten to the point where I've

almost given up playing live.

Old 04-21-2002, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Success Online vs Frustration Live

"Kinda puts an end to the conspiracy theories eh?"

No doubt about it, you've broken it wide open. There now exists no reason to criticize Paradise ever again. Thanks.

" Anyone have any advice/suggestions?"

You should start playing a lot higher. All those fish in the low limits were really hurting your earn. Now that you've found you much better in the tough games you should step right up. But first, perhaps you should get you head out of your ass.
Old 04-21-2002, 12:39 AM

When you say that you're doing much better online vs. "IRL", could you be more specific? What is you're hourly rate of the 2 vs. size of game?

Why do you say games online are much tougher?

What makes a game tougher (in your opinion)?

I have played at same table with you a number of times, and would be happy to share some thoughts with you, but I would like you to answer above questions first, if you would.

Old 04-21-2002, 02:40 AM

Yeah, I see where you're coming from but poker involves adapting each game. Think about every decision you're making, from starting cards to pot odds on the flop to turn and river play pay attention to each decision you make and see if it makes sense.

Regarding fish, just because someone is a fish doesn't mean that they have bad cards when you are up against them. Fish get dealt AA and KK just as often as you in the long run. You have to know how to profit against them.

Last but not least, don't think that a $20-40 game is going to be easier to beat than a loose $4-8 game.
Old 04-21-2002, 05:09 AM

Thanks Doug! Great advice. Thank you so much for answering my post. I'll be sure to sit right down at the table next time and announce that I've "pulled my head out of my ass" and the 6 loose players better watch out cause the suckouts ain't happening tonight. Thanks for you helpful response.

P.S. Little side advice back at ya. Get a friggin life. If all you can do is respond with insults and a grouchy attitude you should probably get out a bit more.
Old 04-21-2002, 05:29 AM

First off, let me say I know I'm pretty much leaving myself wide open here (especially being that you know who I am but you've posted anonymously.) I appreciate the fact that you're willing to help but I'd ask if could possibly discuss via email? I'll post the basics below.

Online - Between +.3 to +2 BB/h depending on the site.

RL - Had been +1.3 until 2 months ago but now stands at -.75 BB/h

I see the games online as tougher (once again site and limit dependent) for many reasons. Among them being more tight/aggressives and pot odds become much more important (as opposed to RL low limts where the amount of money in the pot will almost always give you odds to call).

As a side note, I did head down AC tonight and finally decided to move up a limit. Bought into the 7.50-15 game for $100 and an hour later the game (a must move table for the main game) broke up with me up $188. It felt great and one of the local pros I'm friends with gloated at the fact that he's been telling me to try the higher limits.
Old 04-21-2002, 05:41 AM

I don't recall the Trop at AC spreading $4-$8.

Tom D
Old 04-21-2002, 08:40 AM

I don't know you.

I've said that I've played at the same table as you a number of times @ P Stars, and having done so, I have an opinion of your play based upon what I have seen there.

My email address is: nemg7@yahoo.com if you wish & we can discuss further.
Old 04-21-2002, 08:51 AM

Congrats on your profit in the larger game, but I have a word of advice for your future play, no matter if it's live or online. Always buy into the game for at least 20 times the big bet, or don't buy in. I've done it both ways in the past, and can tell you from experience, there are many mathematical and psychological reasons for this. With your win, you shouldn't have any problems doing that. Also, there is no doubt in my mind that the caliber of play is much higher online compared to live. Unfortunately, I can only get to a live game once a week, so I play online each evening and weekends. Because of this, I have become a much better player, going from weak-tight to tight-aggressive! As far as Mr. Duke's unkind words, simply disreguard them. It's so sad to see that loser continually show up on this forum with his hard headed negativity. Good Luck!
Old 04-21-2002, 10:47 AM

In reviewing your online v. live results, don't forget to consider the possibility of your own live behavior/tells as a factor, as well as those you've listed.