Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 04:21 AM

Default Complete Beginner...

Ok, I have already used the search function to no avail. I am interested in investing when my poker bankroll becomes large enough to allow it. I would like to take the time until them to start studying everything I can about the market.

Please list any recommended books, websites, etc. and how much you recommend it.

I know you guys get a lot of these posts, and if I overlooked something while searching please link me. I searched for "beginner", "starting", "new", "books" (which only came up with day trading), and "websites". Sorry for being a newb. Cheers!
Old 01-22-2005, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Complete Beginner...

Im in the exact same boat as you. Hoping to start getting my feet wet in a few months. I just ordered The Intelligent Investor. Ill let ya know how that goes or if I find anything else.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:40 AM

I would start with something like "A Random Walk Down Wall Street" because that book at least provides some insight into ideas of risk aversion and market effeciency. Look up FatOtt's posts in this forum. He had a post that spelled out the types of books to read that would be very useful. I'll add that a basic knowledge of how securities are valued is essential IMO FWIW.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll add that a basic knowledge of how securities are valued is essential IMO FWIW.

[/ QUOTE ]

For that grab Graham's The Intelligent Investor (which I'm sure everyone here has heard about) and also Expectations Investing by Rappaport and Mauboussin (which I'm sure very few here have read). Expectations Investing is probably the best book out there on how stocks are valued and what those values mean in the market.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:40 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll try to grab those books as soon as I can. Also will look up those posts.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:33 PM

Okay, The Intelligent Investor is a great book, but it is incredibly boring. And not at all something a beginner should start with. Not sure how much of a beginner you are, but if you're absolutely new, I'd honestly pick up one of the "Dummies" books. It'll give you an easy understanding of what stocks and bonds, dividends, splits, P/E ratios, index funds, etc. actually are. After that something like A Random Walk that deals in depth with issues of the fundamentally chaotic behavior of the market.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, The Intelligent Investor is a great book, but it is incredibly boring.

[/ QUOTE ]
But... but I want to make money the easy way, without thinking or working too hard! Isn't there just a get-rich-quick guide out there?!
Old 01-22-2005, 04:02 PM

Begin your studies by learning how difficult it is to beat the market and how valuable simple diversification and asset allocation can be. Read the books listed below, and then re-read them. You may want to read them in the order in which I present them.

If you still want to pursue stock selection and portfolio construction after you have read these 3 books, let me know. I'll be happy to provide a list of books and articles that I have found useful.

The books:

1. Winning the Loser's Game, by Charles D. Ellis

2. Common Sense on Mutual Funds, by John C. Bogle

3. Asset Allocation, by Roger C. Gibson
Old 01-23-2005, 03:45 PM

Thanks everyone again on the posts.

parttimepro, I am like I said in the title, a complete newbie. I have never dabbled in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, or any part of the market whatsoever. I am not interested in a get-rick-quick scheme, I am interested in my security financially in the future. I am only 18 so I think now would be the best time to start investing and planning for when I am out of college.

I will pick up the Dummies book, and zerosum's 3 books that he listed. When I finish those and think that I understand the topics covered, I'll send you a PM zerosum.

Thanks for everyone's help again.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks everyone again on the posts.

parttimepro, I am like I said in the title, a complete newbie. I have never dabbled in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, or any part of the market whatsoever. I am not interested in a get-rick-quick scheme, I am interested in my security financially in the future. I am only 18 so I think now would be the best time to start investing and planning for when I am out of college.

I will pick up the Dummies book, and zerosum's 3 books that he listed. When I finish those and think that I understand the topics covered, I'll send you a PM zerosum.

Thanks for everyone's help again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend a Random Walk Down Wall Street as well. Also, The Four Pillars of Investing by William Bernstein is excellent.

Diehards.org is an excellent, long time horizon investing site. They largely advocate the use of low cost index funds.