Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 04:07 AM

Default How to beat the $5 + $1 Party SNGs

So, I settle down into my "imcastleman memorial" $5 SNG seat to blow off some steam after an 0 for 8 session, and I start reviewing my strategy in my head:

"push every hand."

No problem. First hand 5-2off, I push and win the blinds. Next hand 4-9, push and win the blinds. Next hand pocket Queens (cool), push and I get two callers: A-4 and K-9. Wow, nice call dudes. I tripled up and suddenly I got an idea... I only had to open-push twice before these monkeys decided it was party time and any big card would do.

OK, new strategy: Wait for a top... I don't know... 25% hand and push then. Next hand I fold and the guy next to me pushes and gets called in two places. The hands are: 2-2, 3-3, and K-Js. It was as if I had Ebola virus and my first push was a sneeze. Everybody caught it and their eyes started bleeding 2 minutes later. I switched to my $5 "A" game and won pretty easily. Unfortunately, not until level 4, so no record.

But I had a new plan, so I set up 8 $5 tables with the following strategy:

Open push until I double up and then switch to A-game and watch the fireworks.

Results:

9 SNGs
7 ITM (77.8%)
6 firsts
1 second
2 tenths
ROI 204%
$12.33 per tourney
$197 per hour eight-tabling(they only take 30 minutes or less)

I'm thinking about quitting my job to do this full time. I understand that 204% ROI is unsustainable, but even if I could only make half of that I'd be pulling in $100 an hour.

Plus, I find that better players are much easier to beat... so when I move up to the $11's there's a pretty good chance I could be looking at a quadruple-digit ROI.

...and I haven't even figured in rake-back yet.

Irieguy
Old 01-20-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Re: How to beat the $5 + $1 Party SNGs

Hehehe. Oh man, I'm glad I decided to check 2+2 one last time before going to bed.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hehehe. Oh man, I'm glad I decided to check 2+2 one last time before going to bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao, same case here!!!
Old 01-20-2005, 07:48 AM

While the players are much, much tougher at the 10s, the rake is cheaper. I don't see any reason you shouldn't carry an roi around 210%-215%
Old 01-20-2005, 12:34 PM

Irie, this is the funniest [censored] ever. When you said you open-pushed on the 8, does this mean with "top 25% hands" or just a few times with junk, to get them juiced up?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could be looking at a quadruple-digit ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!

As a side note, I never understood how more or less pissing away cash at lower buy-ins help people "blow off steam". If I did that, I'd get madder that I was losing more money. I'd much rather punch a wall or something.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I could be looking at a quadruple-digit ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!

As a side note, I never understood how more or less pissing away cash at lower buy-ins help people "blow off steam". If I did that, I'd get madder that I was losing more money. I'd much rather punch a wall or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, man, no. try it - youll like it. its the best thing ever. in fact, even tho im running fine right now, im gonna go do a 5sng-pushathon. there is absolutely no feeling in the world like getting berated by the $5+1 players.

pm me your party screen name and ill transfer you $6 to get you started. i promise youll be back for more before you know it.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is absolutely no feeling in the world like getting berated by the $5+1 players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there's one thing that compares to that....

[ QUOTE ]

pm me your party screen name and ill transfer you $6 to get you started.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMFAO

Irieguy
Old 01-20-2005, 02:59 PM

Irieguy, you never seem to be short of creativity. Very nice plan. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The only small question I have is that you all in everyhand before double up or knock out and you only knock out 2 out of 9 tourney. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I settle down into my "imcastleman memorial" $5 SNG seat to blow off some steam after an 0 for 8 session, and I start reviewing my strategy in my head:

"push every hand."

No problem. First hand 5-2off, I push and win the blinds. Next hand 4-9, push and win the blinds. Next hand pocket Queens (cool), push and I get two callers: A-4 and K-9. Wow, nice call dudes. I tripled up and suddenly I got an idea... I only had to open-push twice before these monkeys decided it was party time and any big card would do.

OK, new strategy: Wait for a top... I don't know... 25% hand and push then. Next hand I fold and the guy next to me pushes and gets called in two places. The hands are: 2-2, 3-3, and K-Js. It was as if I had Ebola virus and my first push was a sneeze. Everybody caught it and their eyes started bleeding 2 minutes later. I switched to my $5 "A" game and won pretty easily. Unfortunately, not until level 4, so no record.

But I had a new plan, so I set up 8 $5 tables with the following strategy:

Open push until I double up and then switch to A-game and watch the fireworks.

Results:

9 SNGs
7 ITM (77.8%)
6 firsts
1 second
2 tenths
ROI 204%
$12.33 per tourney
$197 per hour eight-tabling(they only take 30 minutes or less)

I'm thinking about quitting my job to do this full time. I understand that 204% ROI is unsustainable, but even if I could only make half of that I'd be pulling in $100 an hour.

Plus, I find that better players are much easier to beat... so when I move up to the $11's there's a pretty good chance I could be looking at a quadruple-digit ROI.

...and I haven't even figured in rake-back yet.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if this will work for the $1ks, hmmm, gigabet, want to try this out [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] lmao