Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Standard fold here with an overpair?

party 50/5
It's around the 3rd or 4th hand in the tournament (assume everyone has 1000 in chips with blinds 10/15)

UTG limps, folded to me in mid position with QQ, raised to 75. The guy behind me calls and the UTG also calls.

Flop is 267 rainbow (250 in pot), UTG bets 15, I raise to 200, the guy behind me reraise to 450, UTG fold...

A fold here will leave me with 725 in chips, is a fold correct here (putting him on trips)?

Other questions include:
Is my PF raise too small? How's my flop raise?

Thanks for all comments
Old 01-17-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Standard fold here with an overpair?

Hate to do this but..

Bump
Old 01-17-2005, 06:37 PM

Do you know anything about the other player.

The only hands where you won't be out in front here are AA, KK, or the trips you assume.

Absent other knowledge, I'd say that the caller has a pair of some kind. Maybe AA, maybe TT, 99 or even a bluff.

So, 900 in the pot, 250 to call, I probably call or push.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:50 PM

I don't know that you can really distinguish this guy's play from 22, 77, 55, 88, 99 or JJ, or maybe even A7 (suited of course). I'd probably call and hope he slows down. Pushing and living with the results isn't too bad either. If you call and he pushes the turn, you have to call that too though.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:58 PM

Yea, I really have no read on this guy. The reason I am posting this is that I have met this kind of situation a few times now. I almost always reraise all in or call an all in raise (compared to a 250 raise in this case), I just don't know if that is the correct move. I figure I am not good enough to fold the overpair given the situation so I am seeking some advice. From the times I experienced this kind of situation, I usually find that I am ahead if I call an allin raise, but if the guy only raise by a small amount, i am usually behind to a trip. I have a hard time imagine someone reraising my flop raise with a overpair such as 88 or 99, I would expect them to push instead.

Woould what I should do change if this was a 100/9 game or 200/15 game? I mean, if this was a 10/1 or 20/2 game, I would reraise allin or call everytime.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:19 PM

Good fold if you made it. At a 10+1 I'd go ahead and push.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:41 PM

I think you make a valid point about the re-raise here. This is exactly the type of situation that I love to get with a set. I believe I was wrong, I think this is a fold. You still have a chance to do well, and don't need to throw away all your chips on QQ. You might be throwing away the best hand, but that's what sucks about being out of position.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:51 PM

QQ is the crossover point for me here. JJ or TT i would fold, QQ I would push. I think I win here about 50%, so with the chips in the pot I think folding is wrong.

Steve
Old 01-17-2005, 08:07 PM

The raise amount is kind of weird, but lots of players will reraise after that flop to get you to fold high cards. If you raised PF with AKs you would probably make the same 200 bet on the flop. If I think that might be the case, I don't need AA, KK or trips to make that rereaise.