Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Buying an ipod help

It seems to me every place that sells them has them for the exact same price. Even online i cant find a deal other than auction sites like ebay.

Any idea why they all price match identically? If someone dropped the price by $20, im sure they'd make up for it in no time. Does apple force the price?

Part 2

As i understand it you must have usb 2.0 to handle an ipod. How can i find out if my laptop has that. I bought it new last April.

Thanks

rJ
Old 01-16-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Buying an ipod help

Part 1: Who knows.

Part 2: I don't have it on my latop and it worked fine. Maybe slower? but i could still do everything.
-AA
Old 01-16-2005, 12:29 AM

Part 1: For some reason, major electronic products never have any price variance whatsoever. I worked at a Best Buy and Target at the same time and never saw and price difference in PS2, XBOX, or GC, and when there were price drops, all stores did it at the same time and for the same amount. I think it is set by the company.

Part 2: I have run an Ipod on a 4 year old laptop and 4 year old pc.... Im pretty sure it will work in any ol usb port.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:09 AM

I don't think most stores are making a healthy profit on ipods. Prices are essentially fixed by teh wholesale price from Apple. They do not offer bigger breaks for larger purchases, so economies of scale are not applicable. Check out buy.com. I saw 20gig on their site for $279 just before xmas. slickdeals.net had buy.com coupons too for like 10% off, so thats another option. Or, you could be my best friend, and sign up for free ipods.com under my referral link... you'd be my fifth and final referral for my ipod.

Go to device manager, look under "USB" at the bottom. Look for "generic USB hub" and look at the properties. My "location" field reveals that it's USB2.0

Freakin
Old 01-16-2005, 05:58 PM

Rusty,
I believe the ipod can also connect through firewire. Mine does and it is an older generation one. Also you might want to wait until next week as the ipod shuffle is coming out. Prices are $99 for 120 songs and $149 for 240 songs. I'm probably going to get one as these are more convenient to take to the gym then the bigger one. They are well worth it though whichever you buy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2005, 06:06 PM

I got a 15gb iPod from Overstock.com about 6 months ago for 220 or so.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:46 PM

1. No idea.
2. USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1.1
Old 01-16-2005, 07:57 PM

Went shopping today.

In order to sell ipods you must be a certified apple dealer. Apple sets the prices for you and if you deviate you lose your license for 3 years. So everyone will have identical prices.

So i ended up buying the mini. Canadian dollars the mini was $329 and the 20g was $400. 5x the storage, but even though its still small, the mini is significantly smaller. The smaller size combined with me not ever needing more than 1000 songs and the pink colour made me choose the mini.

The part that sucks about the prices is the US dollar is worth 1.22 Canadian dollars compared to much more last year and even more before that. Unfortunately the prices have never caught up to this difference yet.

rJ
Old 01-16-2005, 07:59 PM

You could have ordered it from USA though.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could have ordered it from USA though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the places i looked automatically redirected me to a .ca canadian site or would not ship outside of the U.S.

rJ