Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 03:11 PM

Default OK to say \"we\" when referring to sports teams?

Example from a Laker fan: "If Kobe is healthy, there's no doubt that we'll make the playoffs."

Similar example using "you" from a Red Sox fan to a Yankees fan: "This year we finally beat you."

How about "Let's": "Let's go"

Follow-up question. Is is different for college sports where one may actually have graduated from or currently be a part of the university. "We are going to win our 3rd consecutive Big Ten title". In this case, the team is actually a representative of an institution of which you are a part of.

I think it's ok, and part of being a fan. College sports you could easily be a part of the institution in question,and for pro sports, a great deal of what the leagues actually sell is civic pride and rooting for "your" team.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: OK to say \"we\" when referring to sports teams?

OK for a college that you graduated from, pretty lame (IMO) for pro teams.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:19 PM

I prefer to use it when talking about game strategy/critique.

"We need to get the ball Marshall Fualk's hands."

"We need to block Julius Peppers."

"We need to run razor fake 36 dive and hit the y slot on the seam."

Of course they are all wrong, we need to veer to the fullback and run the option left with the wing.

-AA
Old 01-15-2005, 03:23 PM

(removed from illini thread and reposted)

Just havin' a little fun with you.... it reminds me of caddy talk....

"we carved a 4-iron into that tucked pin on twelve and birdied, then we knocked it on in two at thirteen and eagled. We were 5-under with two holes left and then that dumb fxck 3putts 17 and hits it out on 18."

Just remember it's "we" also when they stink up the joint!
Old 01-15-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Follow-up question. Is is different for college sports where one may actually have graduated from or currently be a part of the university. "We are going to win our 3rd consecutive Big Ten title". In this case, the team is actually a representative of an institution of which you are a part of.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in Nebraska some years back. I'm not sure if the Cornhuskers are properly classified as college or pro. After a big game, I'd go into work on Monday morning and listen to semi-illiterate high-school drop-outs saying things like, "Whooeee, we really kicked Oklahoma's butt this time, didn't we!"
Old 01-15-2005, 03:48 PM

I think that here in Los Angeles where the majority of the fans are fair-weather fans, it is not right for a casual fan to refer to any of the local teams as 'we' or 'our team' or whatever.

I watch on TV or listen on the radio to at least half of the Dodger games every season. So then inevitably the last month of the season the Dodgers and Giants are neck and neck for the division and all of a sudden everyone is wearing Dodger hats and jerseys, using 'we,' when meanwhile they probably can't name a single relief pitcher for the club other than Eric Gagne.

In college sports, its fine to refer to the school you go to or went to as your school.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:25 PM

We is okay for any team that as long as since you started referring to it as 'your' team, you haven't stopped.

-Jman28
Old 01-15-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We is okay for any team that as long as since you started referring to it as 'your' team, you haven't stopped.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I know some people who are jerks about this whole issue, and everytime someone says, "We need to win," they'll say, "Oh, I didn't know you were on the Seahawks." That's really lame, IMO.

(By the way, I've been saying "we" with the Expos for about 20 years now -- and if I can stick with THAT team, anybody should be able to stick with theirs. Of course, I'm a Nationals fan now, but that's not by choice ...)
Old 01-15-2005, 04:32 PM

Smartass answer :

Since Green Bay Packers are technically owned by the people, they can say "we" all they want.

Intellectual (not really) answer :

I think it's okay with "we" because sports teams and cities have been molded together over the years. When you think Pittsburgh Steelers, you think of hard working, blue collar workers. There ain't any Steeler that's blue collar but Steelers have been molded with that persona because of Pittsburgh's image. The city is known as a blue collar, hard working, steel producing city. You've grown up as them being "your team" since they are the hometown team. There's also city pride on the line as to what sports teams do.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:33 PM

interesting point, one I've actually been thinking about myself. how does this sound? if you spend money on the team, you can consider yourself "part of the team." why not, your money is going to them and "helping" them succeed. I also think being an alumnus or a student at any college gives you full right to say "we." My God, I'm paying $15K to go to this friggin place, I damn well better be able to call the "my team"