Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Legitamacy has returned to baseball and the commish\'s office.

1. The steroid deal has been approved which is a great step in the right direction.
2. Purchase of Brewers today which means Selig no longer has direct ties to the Brewers. So hopefully now he can stop thinking like an owner, and now focus on whats good for the game and not good for him and his cronies.

I tell you, all of this horrid news early on during the offseason is being washed away IMO my these great developments. Spring training can't come soon enough!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Legitamacy has returned to baseball and the commish\'s office.

I wonder how many players are gonna get busted for roids now that these policies are in place?
I never had the hatred that everyone seems to have for Selig until the allstar game a couple years ago. Are you kidding me? A [censored] tie? WTFE, dude.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how many players are gonna get busted for roids now that these policies are in place?

[/ QUOTE ] I don't think that many will. Expect to see smaller players and less HR's though.

[ QUOTE ]
I never had the hatred that everyone seems to have for Selig until the allstar game a couple years ago. Are you kidding me? A [censored] tie? WTFE, dude.

[/ QUOTE ] Seligs tenure has been filled with ups and downs.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:47 PM

I think the steroid deal is pretty weak, though you're right, it is a step in the right direction. The problem is, they need about two more much bigger steps before the punishment will fit the crime, IMO.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the steroid deal is pretty weak, though you're right, it is a step in the right direction. The problem is, they need about two more much bigger steps before the punishment will fit the crime, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the great thing, the penalties themselves don't matter really. The important thing is, there will be public disclosure now when someone gets busted. I think being labeled as a cheater will be a far greater deterrent than a 10 game penalty.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:40 PM

Too little, too late, man.

I mean, come on, its been obvious that people were getting away with being on the juice for a while now, especially a guy like Barry. Of course, Bud conveniently enough needed guys like him to bring back some of the popularity and excitement that had been lacking for a few years since McGwire and Sammy had their home run chase. How do you put fans in the seats and get ratings? Let a juiced-up slugger go wild on the record books.

When you break it down, baseball really is a very boring game with occasional flashes of greatness. There are people who would much better run the game than Bud, but maybe that'll change since he isn't tied to Milwaukee anymore. Still...Peter Gammons for Commish!
Old 01-14-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the great thing, the penalties themselves don't matter really. The important thing is, there will be public disclosure now when someone gets busted. I think being labeled as a cheater will be a far greater deterrent than a 10 game penalty.

[/ QUOTE ] good point Nolan, I am glad to see MLB being proactive for once.

BTW, thank god the words Selig and owner no longer are connected.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's a good point. I still think 50 games would be more appropriate for a first offence, but making it public certainly counts for something.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Peter Gammons for Commish!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ooh!
Old 01-14-2005, 06:51 PM

Woudn't a season ban be better? You don't accidentally use steroids.

It should be like Track, 1 positive test, big suspension, 2 and you're done for life.