Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Global Dimming - More Gloom and Doom from the BBC

Sorry about your country nicky G.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4171591.stm

"We're going to be in a situation unless we act where the cooling pollutant is dropping off while the warming pollutant is going up.

"That means we'll get reducing cooling and increased heating at the same time and that's a problem for us," says Dr Cox.

Even the most pessimistic forecasts of global warming may now have to be drastically revised upwards.

That means a temperature rise of 10 degrees Celsius by 2100 could be on the cards, giving the UK a climate like that of North Africa, and rendering many parts of the world uninhabitable.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Global Dimming - More Gloom and Doom from the BBC

[ QUOTE ]

That means a temperature rise of 10 degrees Celsius by 2100 could be on the cards, giving the UK a climate like that of North Africa, and rendering many parts of the world uninhabitable.

[/ QUOTE ]
Besides the point that a ten degree shift in 100 years is bullshit, where do these people think they live? They'd need a 50 degree swing to be like africa in a hundred years. Their weather is shite...
Old 01-14-2005, 12:33 PM

I remember reading about this a couple years ago when the guy first published his research...then the story disappeared, so I figured he'd been discredited. I guess not...sweet!
Old 01-14-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Besides the point that a ten degree shift in 100 years is bullshit, where do these people think they live? They'd need a 50 degree swing to be like africa in a hundred years. Their weather is shite...

[/ QUOTE ]

5-25 degree swing? yes
50 degree swing? no

average temperatures:

London: 11.7 C
Algiers: 16.8 C
Nema (a city in Mauritania, inland, in/near Sahara desert) : 30.2 C

(worldclimate.com)
Old 01-14-2005, 01:19 PM

My country? Wouldn;t the US be even worse off given how hot it gets there in the summer?
Old 01-14-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My country? Wouldn;t the US be even worse off given how hot it gets there in the summer?

[/ QUOTE ]

Parts of the US would be worse off, and parts wouldn't. Some parts of the US would dry up, others would become so soaked with rain that malaria would start to become a problem. A 10 degree shift is huge though. I think that at 5 degrees the ocean will rise 3 feet and put 100 million people out of homes.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:43 PM

Maybe you didn't understand my joke.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you didn't understand my joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get your joke. Is the 10 degree thing a joke as well?
Old 01-14-2005, 08:21 PM

I highly recommend reading Bjorn Lomborg's Skeptical Envirnnmentalist if you have any interest in the issue of global warming (or any other environmental matter).

Ice ages and periods of extended warmth have been happening on our planets for a long long time. Global warming research is mostly based on data from the last hundred or so years. To these environmentalist drawing doom and gloom conclusions about our planet i say 'sample size too small'. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

cubs
Old 01-14-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I highly recommend reading Bjorn Lomborg's Skeptical Envirnnmentalist

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that arguement before. He only has one published paper, and it is in game theory and not his take on environmentalism. The lack of peer review makes it extremely difficult to check his facts and claims, but I am in the process of doing so. I will admit there is uncertainty, but there more and more evidence is popping up everyday showing that maybe we should not be taking any chances. In fact, the vast majority of scientists have very little doubt. Do you think it's wise to ignore the vast majority of scientists?

Here is a video you should watch. It is from the Nobel Laureate R.E. Smalley. He proposes a solution. It's pretty dumb not to follow his advice IMO, for economic reasons alone.

http://128.42.10.107/media/Smalley_O...31101_300k.wmv

http://smalley.rice.edu/