Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 08:27 PM

Default My own pokerchips.com order

Well after reading this forum for almost a year, the time is right for me to finally order some custom chips. Inspired by Ten's awesome Egyptians, I was planning on designing my own Chipco's. Then I was thinking about getting some Egyptians on the new reorder, but I've decided to go with clay. Despite the lack of edge spot variation with pokerchips.com, I've decided to get an order through them rather than trking. Although those KGB and doubleedge spot chips will be great!

I'm still contemplating my design theme, but wanted to post my color ideas for some initial feedback, even though most of the color schemes are pretty basic. I'd like to continue this thread as I get further along in the process. I'm looking at getting 1,000 chips to cover both my bi-weekly tournaments and cash games.

So here are my current color plans:

25¢ Dayglow Yellow no edge spots (100)
$1 Blue / White (or maybe Imperial blue or gray edge) (200)
$5 Red / Blue gray or black? (100)
$25 Green / Dayglow Peach (dayglow pink close second) (200)
$100 Black / Dayglow Green (200)
$500 Purple / Arc Yellow (100)
$1000 Orange / ? (60)
$5000 Chocolate / Orange or Dayglow orange (40)

Quite vague without a design theme yet I know, but any and all feedback would be appreciated.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: My own pokerchips.com order

$1 Blue / GRAY
$5 Red / BLUE (either one)
$1000 Orange / DAY GLOW YELLOW (or white)
$5000 Chocolate / ORANGE
Old 01-13-2005, 01:01 AM

Well, I was planning on going with the A mold anyways, and thought of doing a Greek theme. Then I thought of the Athena owl, and found these Athena/Owl coins: owl coins

I'd like to do 2 different images on either side, but not sure I really like any of the Athena head profiles. With the owl I could go with an actual ancient image from a coin, or a more modern interpretation.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:30 AM

edit: I'm not sure the coloration is anything but a representation of the school colors... looks ok though I guess.

We used Athena as part of a set of goddesses for divisions in a sport league. It was hard for us to get the art to look good given the process (black and white) so we scrapped that and went with something more stylized...

We had our Egyptian nod as well
Old 01-13-2005, 12:05 PM

The colors are great w/ my thoughts:

$1 - Blue w/ white definitely
$5 - Red w/ Black (Go Dawgs!!!) or imperial blue
$25 - Green w/ DG Pink definitely
$100 - Black w/ DG Green definitely
$500 - Purple w/ arc yellow definitely
$1000 - Orange w/ Lavender
$5000 - Chocolate w/ DG Peach

I'd consider making the 25¢ a spotted non-denom and/or think about using the $25, $100, $500 & $1000 at 1/100 the value for cash games. For cash games the 25¢ could be used alot and the solid's just boring... it's supposed to be a duller chip 'cause it's the lowest value but I'd rather have/use my fav color schemes.

I like the Greek theme... Greek gods would be cool. The coins are good for ideas definitely need to see some art.

Good luck,
Fins
Old 01-13-2005, 12:19 PM

Shame there's no one doing 'key' molds.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:27 PM

Definitely go with 1,000 for covering your tournaments and cash games; I did the same type of order. But, are you going with demoniations printed on your chips? If you left off the printing of $5, $10, etc. on the chip, you can elminate your need for the different 25cent chip in your cash game - you just use the purple or orange. Get it? That way you can take 100 chips and apply them elsewhere in your order.

Your colors will be great. As for Orange, maybe Orange w/Red spot would be a nice contrast. And Pink w/Purple instead of Chocolate.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:05 PM

8 colors is a lot. Another option is:
Green T25 $0.25
Black T100 $1.00
Purple T500 $5.00

etc. Of course then you have to worry about people ratholing tourney chips then using them in cash games, but I'd count them down each time anyway.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:44 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback so far! I agree 8 colors is a lot. But I really want an orange, yellow and chocolate chip, so there you go. I don't think I want a pink chip. I am going with both denominations and $ symbol. I prefer using separate chips for cash games, and we will sometimes have side games going during a tournament anyways. I realize this isn't too practical.

Colors: Fins, Chocolate/DG Peach works perfectly, I think. That's a definite now. That also makes Green/DG Pink a definite. I like the idea of Orange/Lavender or maybe White, but think have to think about the orange some more. I have a couple ASM/horsehead Orange/Imperial Blue samples from buypokerchips.com, and that combo is okay but not great.

I'm now leaning towards Mandarin Red/Black for the $5.

How does a non-denom Day Glow Yellow / Chocolate sound for the 25¢?
Old 01-15-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Greek Images

I still have to work on mock-ups, but I'm not that good with Photoshop. Here's my favorite owl image I found:

With the exception of the yellow chip, denominations could go where the AOE lettering is. This image would be on all the chips, with perhaps a different image on the back of the chips. I would prefer not having a white background for the inlay, so that works well with this image too.

Here's an image of Hercules I like, but don't know if it would be fitting opposite the Athena owl:

Finally, here is a link to some Greek god images if I wanted to go with 8 different sets of artwork: gods link