Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 12:31 AM

Default When the read fails or laugh at me because I am so terrible!

I wanted to try these party poker steps, so I make a deposite, get 2nd in my 2nd Step 1. I decide I am going to try really hard at the Step 2 and not do any multi tabling.

We're halfway through the second round and I get QdJd. I limp after 2 others. Villain raises from 30 to 90. Villain has been raising 1/2 to 2/3 or unraised pots and has been pretty aggressive post-flop as well. He's shown down complete crap twice already. One other caller, and I call. Pot is 315.

Flop: K J x

I have middle pair. First player checks. I bet 315. I refuse to believe Villain has anything. He goes all-in for 1000. I equate the 1000 all-in as weak and call with my middle pair. What does he have? AA. LOL. So much for playing well. I guess I should go back to multitabling.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Re: When the read fails or laugh at me because I am so terrible!

These moments are embaressing. But at least you made a read and had the guts to stick to it.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:14 AM

Ya know, even maniacs get AA sometimes. I agree you have to stick with your instincts even though sometimes you'll go down in flames.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:25 AM

By crap, do you mean top pair weak kicker, or absolute rags? You made a strong move by betting the pot. Even a complete maniac isn't going to re-raise all in against that without at least something decent enough to beat middle pair Q kicker.

Anothing thing to watch out for: manics cause everyone else to play better cards. The manic may have garbage, but if the unknown guy has AK and was planning on check-raising the manic?

We all want to get in on the action while the manic is handing out chips, but it's still usually to play tighter and let the manic do the betting when and IF you have the best hand. At this point all you can beat is a pure bluff, and you have to be pretty certain it's a bluff to make the call. But don't knock yourself too hard over it, it happens to everyone.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:44 AM

We're halfway through the second round and I get QdJd. I limp after 2 others. Villain raises from 30 to 90. Villain has been raising 1/2 to 2/3 or unraised pots and has been pretty aggressive post-flop as well

I don't think that post flop is bad, however if the Villain is raising this often, you might question your limp preflop with QJ as the hand to take him on with.
Wait for a better spot, limp, and then play it to the river.

Lori