Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Holding some back

Do you ever/often hold some money back on a hand you think you will win, just in case you lose, so that you have enough money for a comeback if you need it?

example

checked to you on the river and you are last to act

you are pretty sure you have the best hand

if you bet and lose you will turn what would be a fairly short stack to an even shorter stack

[Assume you are not on the bubble yet]
Old 01-11-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Holding some back

No.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:15 PM

If I think I have the best hand on the river, I will only check if the board/betting patterns indicate that I will only be called by a better hand.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:24 PM

I think this is -EV. Just push it allin. If you are ahead you get max value. If you are behind, a thinking opponent will raise you allin anyway.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you ever/often hold some money back on a hand you think you will win, just in case you lose, so that you have enough money for a comeback if you need it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The short answer to the question is no. However, I almost always think there is *some* chance my hand may be best -- so technically I fold *many* hands that I 'think' *could* be best (any two win, baby). It all depends on how likely it is that your hand is best (huge difference between 10%, 51% and 95%).

[ QUOTE ]

example

checked to you on the river and you are last to act

you are pretty sure you have the best hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm.... How sure are you? Super duper sure? Or like 'visions of granduer' sure?

[ QUOTE ]

if you bet and lose you will turn what would be a fairly short stack to an even shorter stack

[/ QUOTE ]

So....how playable is each stack going to be compared to the blinds??

[ QUOTE ]

[Assume you are not on the bubble yet]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok.....I'm not on the bubble...so...what are the blinds and such??

You want to be extracting the most value out of your good hands. Now, let's say you have a set on the river and you're facing a possible low/weirdo straight. Now, you know you don't have the nuts, but you're 90% sure you have the best hand. I see no reason to try and leave myself $$ left over in this situation -- I'm willing to go broke that 10% of the time when getting my $$ allin on the river.

However, let's say the board is uncoordinated and raggedy except an A. You have A4 and think your opponent very likely could have a worse pair...but also likely could have a better A. Your gut tells you he has been playing a worse pair but it's far from clear. Well, early in a tourny if I still have a playable stack I may just check here and be happy with the small pot if I win or I may put in a modest value bet (if I'm almost positive it's +CEV).

Generally I'm either check/folding on the river or raising in a manner to get all my $$ in the pot.

Yugoslav
Old 01-11-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, let's say the board is uncoordinated and raggedy except an A. You have A4 and think your opponent very likely could have a worse pair...but also likely could have a better A. Your gut tells you he has been playing a worse pair but it's far from clear. Well, early in a tourny if I still have a playable stack I may just check here and be happy with the small pot if I win or I may put in a modest value bet (if I'm almost positive it's +CEV).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much what I meant. Not that anyone would do this if they were anywhere near sure they had the best hand. More like the 51% situations (or whatever - even 60%).

[not saying I do this often myself - Andathar's post on a counterfeited set just got me thinking]