Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 02:41 AM

Default I\'m Playing Weak Aren\'t I

4 handed I have 1800 chips, player to my right has 800 chips, the other two stacks are about even. This is the last hand of 100/200 and 800 chip guy is UTG. He moves all-in and I fold ATs. After I did it I was thinking of the range of hands he is probably pushing here and felt like a retard.

I am, a retard right. Arguing for a fold there is only for the sake of being argumentative isn't it. Totaly weak.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: I\'m Playing Weak Aren\'t I

I think its reasonable but it depends how the pusher has played all game
Old 01-11-2005, 03:37 AM

You're pretty smart for a retard. First you post the question of the year, then you make a correct fold when most would call off half their stack when the blinds are just about to matter.

Irieguy
Old 01-11-2005, 04:02 AM

Well I'm glad I did something right in my play tonight. Can you elaborate any on why that's a good fold. Seeing that the next hand he'll have almost half his stack in the bb I assumed the range of hands he's pushing aren't as good as ATs. Is there a concept I'm missing?

Also Irieguy, I have a post called what to do on a missed flop on step 4 or 5 or some title like that. About what to do durring 50/100 or 100/200 when you aren't in all-in mode and make a raise, one person calls and the flop misses you but comes with 2 high cards. And a bluff would pot commit you. I guess you don't even have to go to that post now. Any suggestions for me?
Old 01-11-2005, 04:15 AM

If you fold, you have 1600 and UTG 1100. Even if folds his blinds, he still has a little fold equity. You have an advantage on him, but not huge. Certainly no lock on 3rd.

If you call and lose, you're down to 1,000, and UTG now has 1900. Even in this worse case scenario, 3rd place is not lost. He has a good edge, but no lock on 3rd. You still have fold equity if you fold your SB. Plus, you've had the opportunity (probably > 50%) to knock him out, lock up 3rd at worst, and have enough chips to battle for 1st/2nd.

His fold equity is about to be lost if he folds his UTG. A lot of players will push some pretty crappy hands in his spot. ATs has got to be a least a small favorite (and maybe more). If you win, 3rd is locked and now you're in contention for top two.

I'd argue it's a very clear call. It's a pretty damn good opportunity - high reward, and some (but not huge) risk, and you're a favorite on average in the hand. The alternative - giving UTG and his worse hand 300 chips and his fold equity back for free - isn't very attractive.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:25 AM

I tend to agree. If he has a better hand so be it, you got a bit unlucky that he got a good hand in the perfect spot. If I were him I'd be pushing almost anything with the blinds increasing trying to steal from you, and I love when people fold those situations to me. You have to call here IMO, Gramps laid out the possible scenarios very well. Even if it's a straight coinflip 50/50 on the hand, 50% of the time you're guaranteed 3rd with a decent shot at better, and 50% of the time you STILL have another 30-40% chance of making it ITM. I think you have to call here.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:41 AM

I don't think you should forget that there are two players left to act with bigger stacks. If they call or push what do you do then?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you should forget that there are two players left to act with bigger stacks. If they call or push what do you do then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, are there two stacks left to act?

Or are you in the BB?

This is vital. In the BB, last to act, I call this in a flash. On the button, it would be completely dependent on my read of the players.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:12 AM

Yes he said player to his right was utg which means he is utg+1. I agree it does depend on the read of the other players.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:15 AM

The poster is on the button. The two big stacks are yet to act. This is what I understand from the original post.

If this was a two card game, I would push all-in, fairly confident I've got the winning hand. However, as it is a five (well, seven) card game, I would realise that against his range of possible hands (which could be almost all hands) I am no more than a 55-60% favourite, and I would make the correct decision to fold.

Simple really!

Mystic