Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Standard Preflop raise in SNGs

How much do you open for in a Party sng? 3X the BB? Do you continue to use 3x the BB? or does it change at different levels. I'm sure this is covered in another post, but I couldn't find any posts on it. Could someone direct me to another post or answer my ?. Thanks
Old 01-10-2005, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Standard Preflop raise in SNGs

Most people I believe use 3x BB + (2x BB * #limpers). In the earlier rounds several people also use a higher standard raise, say 5x BB.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:37 AM

I use 3XBB throughout the tournament, with the following exception. If I have QQ or KK in the first three rounds and I am content to just pick up the blinds and limpers and don't want to take my chances with the A9 or KT caller I'll go much higher just to discourage anyone from calling and maybe sucking out on me.

Other than that, I like to keep it at 3XBB (or the Daliman formula involving limpers) just to maintain my consistency. I want my AA's to look the same as my AQ's later on.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:42 AM

Suitedsixes can you or someone else share what the Daliman formula is for dealing with limpers.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:47 AM

Raise what you feel is right. If there are bunch of limpers raise more too push people alot. If there are no limpers raise an amount that you think people will call (if you want them toc call). I think sticking to a stone forumula is redicilous
Old 01-11-2005, 01:05 AM

When one attempts to make sense of your nonsensical post, they are left only with very bad, exploitable advice.

citanul
Old 01-11-2005, 01:09 AM

Works,

Daliman's formula is what is referenced above, the 3x(bb) + 2x (limpers), though I belive he specified raising an amount between 3BB + 1.5limpers and 3BB + 2limpers.

I'm hoping that the person who said he sticks to 3BB or 5BB was only talking about open raising (when there are no limpers).

To offer a complete answer to the question:

I would raise somewhere between 3 and 4 BB if opening at an early level.
I would raise somewhere between 2.7 and 3.5 BB if opening at a mid-late level, where both me and the players who may become involved with the hand have >10BB in their stacks.
I would raise something between 3BB+1.5Limpers and 3BB+2Limpers if there were limpers in the pot.
If at any time these numbers dictate putting more than say, 35% of your stack into the pot with your raise, or if your stack is <10BB, I would simply push, if I were going to enter the pot.

Hope some of this helps,

citanul