Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 12:26 AM

Default NBA equivalent of the Chargers?

Just an idea I thought I would throw out...

Coming up on the halfway point in the NBA season, does anyone think there is a basketball equivalent of the San Diego Chargers? Meaning, a team that most people agree can be good enough to win games and get to the playoffs...maybe further, but still isn't getting enough respect from handicappers?

The Chargers went 13-1-2 (if I remember correctly) against the spread. Some people rode them all year long and probably made a nice profit.

Without having any stats for record against the spread or previous spreads in front of me, would a team like the Suns fit the bill? They put up a ton of points, and can usually cover nearly anything as long as their defense suits up for the game. Or how bout the Spurs at home? Even being favored to win the NBA title, it seems like they're money at home against the spread.

Any other thoughts?
Old 01-10-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: NBA equivalent of the Chargers?

I'd buy your Suns argument for the first 15 games of the season, Vegas was so soft on the Phoenix numbers, and it was easy pickings....it's a little tougher now, with every Phoenix o/u at 210+ (which goes over more often than not), and some approaching 220+. They are also now routinely close to or double digit favorites against most Eastern Conference teams, and a lot of the Western Conference teams. I remember one game ealier this season where I cleaned up taking the Suns -1 AT Philly, indicative of Vegas not catching on yet.

I think it's tough to find a "San Diego Chargers" of the NFL in a sport like the NBA where there's such a long schedule, and the lines are constantly adjusting as teams get hot/stay hot or vice versa.