Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Driving in snow

Okay so here in the Puget Sound region, we have a chance for some snow around here this week. Seattle becomes a mess when it snows, because it rarely happens so people freak out. Also, an absurd amount of people drive SUV's around here, half of which end up in ditches when it snows. Anyways, this broad who sits next to me says "I hate driving in the snow around here because no one around here knows how to drive in the snow. I know how because I went to school in Pullman.(middle of nowhere)"

I can't stand it when people say this [censored]. People in the midwest and elsewhere say there use to driving in snow, but you know what, where you "learned" how to drive in snow is a pretty flat area. The Puget Sound area is the opposite of flat. I have to drive down three hills just to get to work(5 minute drive). I say [censored] this, I never drive in the snow because I like my car, and all these idiots who think they know how to drive in the show around here can go on ahead and try driving down snow covered hills, show us "ignant folks" how its done.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Driving in snow

Nasty ice storm here. Knocked out power in half the city. It's much harder to drive on than snow. Snow is actually pretty easy to drive on once you get the hang of it, but this ice stuff is near impossible to gain traction on.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:31 PM

Its all about patience, caution, and most importantly, and awareness of others. That's not what most people are referring to when they say they no how to drive in snow.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:31 PM

yeah we get more ice than anything here. It gets quite cold in the winter here when it isn't cloudy.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:32 PM

They say they know how to drive in it, but they don't really. In St. Louis they're all over the place. Complete morons.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its all about patience, caution, and most importantly, and awareness of others. That's not what most people are referring to when they say they no how to drive in snow.

[/ QUOTE ]yeah I know, and people here assume that if you have been around lots of snow and even driven in it before, they are somehow superior at doing it. Very annoying over here. Usually when it snows, the news stations send out their "news" choppers and film all the rich people crashing their SUV's in Bellevue.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:34 PM

I actually don't think people in the Midwest drive much better in the snow than people elsewhere. They still end up in ditches and stuff. The difference is small. Snow adds a level of unpredictability that can eff you know matter how well you drive.

Now, snowstorms are more treacherous in some places than in others. In some locales, more of the automobiles are fit for inclement weather. And there are more plows, more knowledge, etc. People in the midwest make fun of SoCal for bitching about the rain, but it really is a whole lot worse when it rains here as the infrastructure isn't there.

-Michael
Old 01-06-2005, 01:36 PM

Not to go on and on about it, but try 10 degrees with a 20 mph north wind. Now add that onto having no power for the night or possibly a few days.

Half a day was enough for me to freeze my ass off.
The power company says 56,000 homes lost their power and it may take up to a week to restore everything. The ice was very thick. Actually, it was a downpour of rain that turned into ice. I've been telling everyone, it's the craziest ice storm I've ever seen.

Almost all the trees are split down the middle from the weight of the ice. Nasty.

Anyway, to the original point, I won't drive on it unless I have to. I think the reason you hear so much of that talk from people in the midwest is because most people *have* to drive. It isn't like it lasts a day. Often times the streets are iced over for at least a week.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually don't think people in the Midwest drive much better in the snow than people elsewhere. They still end up in ditches and stuff. The difference is small. Snow adds a level of unpredictability that can eff you know matter how well you drive.

Now, snowstorms are more treacherous in some places than in others. In some locales, more of the automobiles are fit for inclement weather. And there are more plows, more knowledge, etc. People in the midwest make fun of SoCal for bitching about the rain, but it really is a whole lot worse when it rains here as the infrastructure isn't there.

[/ QUOTE ]

We might drive on it marginally better. Mostly because of more experience. But people here still get freaked and, for the most part, can't deal with it very well.

Places like Michigan deal with snow and ice far better than my state. They have to. Here, it happens just enough to make it a common occurance, yet not enough to warrant the budget for an adequete infrastructure.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
went to school in Pullman.(middle of nowhere)"

[/ QUOTE ]

You just had to throw that last comment in, didn't you? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I agree FWIW. I'm not worried about myself driving, but I'm sure as heck worried about driving with the other idiots out there.