Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Pick My Major and 2nd Semester Classes for Me!!!

Hey guys. I'd really appreciate some help. You can shape the mind of a young man if you wish. Second semester of my sophomore year is approaching and I still have no major. I'm on the path to become a philosophy major, which is interesting and all, but not so useful in real life.

Here is the online timetable of classes at my school for the upcoming semester. Or you can start here .

So, here you go. I will seriously consider any class and/or major recommendations from you. I'm hoping that our common interest in poker will lead to a few other common interests that I'm unaware of. Here's a little of my background (I can explain more if I get some good responses, but I don't wanna waste your time.):

I'm definitely Math/Science oriented as far as my intelligence. However, I hate Calculus and many of the math classes I've had. I have yet to take any math since HS where my last class was AP Calc. I don't need any math to graduate, unless I wanna major in something related to it.

I am more interested in Liberal Arts... creative writing, film stuff, etc., but I'm not a diligent worker at all.

I get by because I take classes that interest me and I test very well.

I do not do homework unless I must do it to pass a class. I don't really read the material either, but I would if it was very interesting to me.

This is why Philosophy has been nice. The material is interesting, and there isn't much work. If you get it, you get it. No hard studying necesarry.

I HATE history type classes and anything that involves reading your textbook, memorizing dates or facts, and spitting them back out on the test. That is not my style at all.

I just took a philosophy class on Bayesian Prob. Theory and it was really interesting, so I've considered trying Stats, but I really don't want to have to take more Calc.

I know I'm gonna have to take some classes I don't like, but I wanna keep that to a minimum.

I'm capable of high level thinking. Difficult concepts are fine with me. What I'm bad at is something that takes a lot of studying to do well in. For instance, I probably went to 5 of 40 Logic classes this semester (i'm not saying these concepts were difficult). I aced the tests. However, I got a C in intro Psych last year because all we did was memorize disorders and stuff from the book and fill in the blanks on a test.

I know that's something I need to work on, but I'm just saying, don't recommend classes where you know that intelligence isn't needed, and just some hard studying will do the job.

If you could help me, I'd really appreciate it. I can give info on credits I have and such if I get some good response, but I don't feel like posting for 6 pages and getting no responses. That looks bad. Thanks.

-Jman28
Old 01-06-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Pick My Major and 2nd Semester Classes for Me!!!

You've got a problem. You can either decide now if you want to work towards your degree and have something worthwhile when you're done or if you want to screw off and just party and bang chicks and nothing else. I highly recommend growing up a little bit and realizing this is setting up the rest of your life. If you want something useful, take a couple more calc classes and go engineering. The minimum calc classes are not hard for a BS in engineering (I didn't look at your link, so I apologize if engineering isn't available at your school). If you just want to dick it, stick with your philosophy classes, party hard, bang tons of chicks, and make sure you have a good time in the next few years. Once you're out, try to find something where you don't have to be smart/experienced in any particular field, but you just have to have a good personality - good luck.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the response.

[ QUOTE ]
I highly recommend growing up a little bit and realizing this is setting up the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you just want to dick it, stick with your philosophy classes, party hard, bang tons of chicks, and make sure you have a good time in the next few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstood me. I don't study hard because it isn't my nature. I've never been able to sit down and learn material that I didn't want to know for over 30 minutes.

I'm not putting school on the backburner to go party, and I do realize that this is important. I'm posting here for advice on an important subject because I don't know what to do.

[ QUOTE ]
you want something useful, take a couple more calc classes and go engineering. The minimum calc classes are not hard for a BS in engineering

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I'll look into engineering classes and maybe talk to a couple engineering majors. I took one engineering class in HS and I've taken lots of physics. I think that it's interesting, but have heard it's a tough major.

-Jman28
Old 01-06-2005, 11:12 AM

If you like maths what about accountancy?

Uses maths but is more about the accounting concepts etc as well.

It has a boring tag but isnt that bad and pleanty of work opportunities post college.

I dont know the US way of degrees etc so dont understand the majoring stuff but saw accountancy on the list.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:16 AM

I think if your skill lie in the Math/Science fields you'd be crazy to not major in something math-oriented.
It sounds like you need to pick a major just because the intro level courses tend to be boring and involve a lot of memorization type stuff. You need to get to higher level stuff so that you can actually think about stuff rather than regurgitate a text book.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:18 AM

When I was 18, I was sick of school. I joined the Marines because I didn't want to go to school and I didn't want to flip burgers. I got out and went back to school, and now have a BA and MBA, both from good schools.

If I'd gone to school when I was 18, I would've done just what you are. I would not have studied and maybe flunked out, or maybe ended up with some useless degree that had nothing to do with any career I really wanted.

The military isn't for everyone, but if you're going to waste your time and not going to study, you should find something productive to do with yourself and put school off until you're ready for it IMO.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to get to higher level stuff so that you can actually think about stuff rather than regurgitate a text book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the response. That's a good point.

But, how am I gonna know what is going to be interesting once I get into the higher levels of it?

Maybe some of you can tell me?

-Jman28
Old 01-06-2005, 11:21 AM

Hey there. I don't know you well enough to offer you any advice, but I will just comment that you can get a pretty good knowledge of stats without having to do any more calculus.

Rhone.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was 18, I was sick of school. I joined the Marines because I didn't want to go to school and I didn't want to flip burgers. I got out and went back to school, and now have a BA and MBA, both from good schools.

[/ QUOTE ]

Negative, you joined the Marines because you wanted to get all the hot chicks the Army and Navy guys couldn't.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

(I can't spell)
Old 01-06-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey there. I don't know you well enough to offer you any advice, but I will just comment that you can get a pretty good knowledge of stats without having to do any more calculus.

Rhone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowledge is different than a degree. I know that I could learn and understand statistics without much calc, but I think that in order to graduate with a BS in Stats, I'm gonna need a few Calc courses.

I still might do it. Just saying, I don't wanna.

-Jman28