Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Cold Calling Preflop w/ A8 soooted

as a general rule, i do not cold call preflop, especially with suited Aces. my PT numbers have me cold calling once every 220 hands (is that too much?). well, tonight, this hand comes up:

Limper #1 has VPIP% of 61%, Limper 2 is at 63%, PFR is 50% w/PFR% of just 6.25. coldcaller has VPIP of 69%, SB's is 29%, and BB's is 65%. (nice table [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

i made the call because i was so sure at least one blind would follow suit, and the limpers sure weren't going anywhere. DO YOU MAKE THE CALL? is this a special circumstance which makes it OK, or do you generally ALWAYS call here?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG <font color="#A500AF">(limper #1)</font> calls, UTG+1 <font color="#A500AF">(limper #2)</font> calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 <font color="#A500AF">(PFR)</font> raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 <font color="#A500AF">(Cold Caller #1)</font> calls, CO folds, Hero calls, SB <font color="#A500AF">(SB)</font> calls, BB <font color="#A500AF">(BB)</font> calls, UTG <font color="#A500AF">(limper #1)</font> calls, UTG+1 <font color="#A500AF">(limper #2)</font> calls.

Flop: (14 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, limper #1 checks, limper #2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">PFR bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Cold Caller #1 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB folds, limper #1 calls, limper #2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">PFR 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Cold Caller #1 caps</font>, Hero calls, limper #1 calls, limper #2 folds, PFR calls.

Turn: (16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
limper #1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">PFR bets</font>, Cold Caller #1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, limper #1 calls, PFR calls, Cold Caller #1 calls.

River: (24 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
limper #1 checks, PFR checks, Cold Caller #1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, limper #1 folds, PFR calls, Cold Caller #1 folds.

Final Pot: 26 BB

cheers!
Old 01-02-2005, 11:38 AM

Default bump

n/m
Old 01-02-2005, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Cold Calling Preflop w/ A8 soooted

I would muck this... even though the preflop raiser is quite loose his raise percentage is less than most players here, so you are most likely dominated. While this isn't as much of a problem since the pot will be multiway, i still muck here...
Old 01-02-2005, 07:24 PM

i agree with you about there being a good chance of being dominated, but i can certainly dump this without 2-pair or better if there is a lot of interest should an Ace flop.

i'm not saying it's right to make the call(that is why i posted...to ask), just saying that i'm playing for a flush or some type of unlikely miracle flop.

cheers!
Old 01-02-2005, 09:46 PM

Its always fine to call, but better to raise, if you plan on flopping the nuts.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:51 PM

Never CC drawing to "miracle" anything.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:23 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the cold-call is standard...
Old 01-02-2005, 10:29 PM

I once cold called with ace ten soooted on the button. One of the limpers 3-bet which is exactly what I didn't want to see. The raiser had AJo and the 3-better had pocket queens so neither pair would win for me. I flopped a pair of tens on the flop and a flush draw on the turn so i wound up going all the way.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read this and ran upstairs to talk to balkii, I stand corrected. I have been losing money.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

please say why this is standard, as i do not want to start doing it only to find out later it is a big leak.

i honestly had my mouse over the fold button, then thought about it a bit before deciding to make the call. also, what if i am holding 78s or some other suited connectors? would it be correct to call in that situation?

cheers!