Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 02:27 PM

Default a steal-raise with 55

Hrrrm. To be frank, this table kind of sucked by the time this hand came up but I was running real well on it and didn't feel like leaving. We'd finally gotten the table coach to shut up, but the bad player he was berating went bust and now it was just a bunch of tighter types to my right.

in short:
CO is about 20% tight preflop and so far (20 hands) has not seen a showdown. (20 hands)
BTN is 15% tight and seems decent. (200 hands)
SB is 40% loose and loose postflop but is also running hot, so I don't know if he's a huge calling station or just hitting a lot of hands. (40 hands)
BB is 20% tight preflop and tight postflop so far but of course that's over: (60 hands)

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...

I normally fold here, but boredom and a sense of running-well invulnerability made me hit raise. Thoughts on the spewiness of said raise?
Old 12-31-2004, 02:39 PM

Default Re: a steal-raise with 55

I'd raise too, though 55 would be very much a cutoff'ish point.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:43 PM

With the reads you have I don't mind the raise.

Having said that, I would fold. I guess my thoughts are like this ... say everyone folds but the SB. The flop comes 27T. He bets .... what is your move bison?

Cause that's what's probably going to happen.

Evain
Old 12-31-2004, 02:43 PM

Bah. I'd raise 66, so how bad can 55 be? With CO, BTN, and BB's descriptions, I think this is fine.

Rob
Old 12-31-2004, 02:44 PM

Him betting out on that flop is not probably going to happen. He's likely to miss any flop.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:48 PM

Okay let me put it differently. I am talking about a random flop - your average flop. If he bets out are you going to raise?

Let me put it differently. Are you raising thinking you are a better than 50% of everyone folding? I just don't want to get into a slanging match with one guy running hot while the blinds eat away at my half share of this pot.

But I am only a youngster and would love to hear your thoughts.

Evain.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:49 PM

depending on the texture of the flop, I may raise or I may call down or I may fold. The 3/6 games are very bluffy, though I don't know if this guy was very bluffy.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:51 PM

if he can get the decently tight players to fold behind him, which should happen a lot, headsup in position with a pair is the nuts. if he happens to get a bunch of coldcallers, he still has set equity. about the only way he is [censored][/i]ed is if he gets 3bet by the co or button and everyone else folds, which will happen like never.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:53 PM

Well I guess that's why I fold here. Unless it's a very quiet table I am going to avoid a heads up with a loose player. I would rather be going in with someone I knew well.

And thanks for all your great posts in the past. I follow them closely but have never spoken to you before.

New Years night here in London. I'm heading out.

Cheers

Evain.
Old 12-31-2004, 02:53 PM

anyhoo:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.16 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>...

I am of the opinion that I should raise and call a 3-bet. Thoughts?