Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 06:53 AM

Default TT

arty Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (11.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, CO calls.

River: (13.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

I would've folded to a raise on the river.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:42 AM

Default Re: TT

I wish I could delete this. Reading back over it, I've found my own mistakes. The guy had a 5% PFR and 50 VP$IP over 40 hands, which I didn't look at until after the hand. I think the river is a check/call but besides that everything else good?
Old 12-31-2004, 07:52 AM

I think you played it well against that type of player.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:56 PM

He had QQ. It seems like he played it perfectly against me. He extracted the most he could. Anyone play this differently?
Old 01-01-2005, 09:12 PM

I tend to not 3-bet TT in this spot preflop, particularly against a tightish raiser.

Against a tight raiser I also don't see what this flop checkraise accomplishes, unless you're planning on seeing if he 3-bets or not and then folding the turn unimproved.

If you're beating anything he has it's AKs or maybe 99-88-77, and you're better off calling to encourage further bluffing if you're ahead and minimizing the bets you lose when you're behind, which is a lot of the time.

Yes, the pot is multiway, but anyone calling is getting more than 8:1, so raising doesn't really protect your hand.

Having raised the flop, I like the turn bet. I'm not sure what the river bet accomplishes--what do you think he has, and what is he going to do with it?

Note that I might be biased because I know the results.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:33 AM

It was only over 40 hands and I didn't look at his stats while playing this hand.

The flop checkraise is to make the other face 2 cold to limit the field and also see if he 3-bets.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:30 PM

Don't include ex post facto reads; if you played this hand without knowing he was a tight raiser then we shouldn't know either.
Old 01-02-2005, 03:42 PM

The river bet is scary. I'd probably check and call here, maybe even check and fold. I doubt there's a whole lot of value there against a preflop capper.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:03 PM

I don't think you can bet this river. If he calls, what are you beating? AQ is unlikely with the pre-flop cap, and he might fold that anyway. 77-99 also seems unlikely. Until the river came, your best shot was that he had AK, and you're dead to that now to. I strongly doubt a bet will fold any better hands... if he was hanging around waiting to catch a K, he's still playing. I doubt QQ, AJ, etc... is going to fold to a bet (you'd need a real tight weak read on your opponent to make that play).

I honestly don't think you can bet here. In fact, I think that check-folding is fine here. You'd need to be ahead about 6% of the time here to make a call worth it, and I actually don't think you get to that number. Calling for peace of mind isn't horrible, but I don't see you winning this ever, really.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:06 PM

Even against a 5% PFR guy, I like 3-betting preflop. If he's raising with big broadway, better to get heads up &amp; only have to dodge 2 overcards, instead of potentially 4 with the other limpers in.

It's been said already, but the flop c/r doesn't accomplish anything in a pot this size. They're getting nearly 10:1 to call 2 cold, and that's more than enough to take a card off with two overs here, especially since anyone with an A also picked up a backdoor to the wheel. If anything, I'd rather bet out &amp; face the field with deciding whether or not to call 1 with a likely raise behind them, and then a possible 3-bet from you after that. The odds will still be there, but some tighter players will fold overcards in that situation anyway.

Once you're heads up, I think check/call is the way to go..although by the time the river comes, you're toast against anything a reasonable player would cap with.