Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 02:18 AM

Default this is most definitely wrong

Feels very overaggressive, especially so early in a $10/$1 SNG. Push preflop? Smoothcall preflop? Fold preflop? I have no clue.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

MP2 (t725)
MP3 (t970)
CO (t1515)
Button (t775)
SB (t770)
Hero (t785)
UTG (t755)
UTG+1 (t885)
MP1 (t820)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t15, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t85</font>, Button folds, SB calls t75, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t350</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls t265, SB calls t265.

Flop: (t1080) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t435 (All-In)</font>, CO calls t435, SB calls t420 (All-In).
Old 12-31-2004, 02:31 AM

Default Re: this is most definitely wrong

Preflop, I like a couple options better than the 350 raise. One is a slightly smaller raise, maybe to 275. This is enough to accomplish the same thing as a 350 raise, but leaves you with some more chips if you have to release the hand later.
The other option, and it's my favorite, is just pushing. The pot is large enough in proportion to your stack that this play is not too reckless. But perhaps the main reason I like it is that it negates your positional disadvantage in what could end up as a 3-way pot.

On the flop, I think you have to check &amp; fold. Pushing might be good with only one opponent, but against two it's just too risky. This is why I like pushing preflop -- you avoid this very disgusting situation.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Re: this is most definitely wrong

The preflop raise of 350 represented such a large portion of your chips that you felt you had to take a shot at it by moving in on the flop when the SB checked to you (as the SB was likely to do because you were the raiser). If you are going to push on the flop, you may as well do it pre-flop and likely fold out one of your two competitors. As it stands, however, you are in a lot of trouble on the flop and very unlikely to steal this pot. SB flat called the preflop raise from CO, CO called your big raise, and then SB overcalled. SB very likely has a hand that he can't get away from at this point, and you don't have enough chips to pressure CO into laying down a hand. One of these two players likely has a pair and they are not going to lay it down on the flop.

If you are not going to push preflop, which is probably the best option, then you should just call. With a raise and a caller in the pot, someone is going to bet the flop, and you will likely get a chance to check raise if you hit your hand. If you don't, and someone gets aggressive with the pot, you can still get away from your hand for an $85 loss.