Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2004, 02:00 AM

Default Party $109 Hand - ITM, Short but Average Stack

This is a common situation that I'm sure we all face quite frequently. Party $100+9 NLHE tourney. Top 60 pays and we're now down to 57. I have less than 10XBB but so do most people so I'm actually around 25th in chips. Moving up to the 20s would earn me another $100. And we all know it's getting to the final table that matters. So, with a goal of reaching the final table, would you fold, call, push or do a stop and go?

Sorry, the converter is down:

#Game No : 1365843815
***** Hand History for Game 1365843815 *****
NL Hold'em Trny:8253609 Level:13 Blinds (750/1500) - Thursday, December 30, 00:35:40 EDT 2004
Table Multi-Table(189942) Table #4 (Real Money)
Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: bdhall ( $13276 )
Seat 2: CaptSteve ( $8070 )
Seat 3: PomiDor1 ( $10086 )
Seat 5: Skeels ( $7989 )
Seat 6: rplrpl ( $19920 )
Seat 7: unioncollege ( $5265 )
Seat 8: CARPETBAGGER ( $12630 )
Seat 9: jr424 ( $10984 )
Seat 10: Magic_Pig ( $8780 )
Trny:8253609 Level:13
Blinds (750/1500)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Magic_Pig [ 6s 6h ]
CaptSteve folds.
PomiDor1 folds.
Skeels folds.
rplrpl folds.
unioncollege folds.
CARPETBAGGER folds.
jr424 raises [3000].
Magic_Pig ??????
Old 12-30-2004, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Party $109 Hand - ITM, Short but Average Stack

Push.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:21 AM

I push against an obvious steal, but it's close since he's goign to be getting good odds to call and could easily have 2 overs. If you had 2-3k more it's an easy push as I think you get more fold equity that way. Either way I'd probably push here though barring any reads on the player.

-Rizen
Old 12-30-2004, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I push against an obvious steal, but it's close since he's goign to be getting good odds to call and could easily have 2 overs. If you had 2-3k more it's an easy push as I think you get more fold equity that way. Either way I'd probably push here though barring any reads on the player.

-Rizen

[/ QUOTE ]

No reads on the player. If you're concerned about folding equity what about a stop and go?
Old 12-30-2004, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Rizen

[/ QUOTE ]

No reads on the player. If you're concerned about folding equity what about a stop and go?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were the button I'm not sure I could fold this to a stop and go either unless the flop was like AKJ. Thinking about it though I do think a stop and go would be a better play than pushing, as you'd get a little bit of fold equity that way.

So I'm changing my response [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I think this is a hole in my tournament game anyways. Later on I like to do a lot of pushing/re-stealing when I should be mixing in some stop and gos too, especially if I feel they give me greater folding equity. Good hand, definitely food for thought...

-Rizen
Old 12-30-2004, 02:37 AM

And because I love to play devil's advocate, even when I'm the one suggesting the original move, would you do a stop and go on a mini-raise with one person left to act. Seems like it offers pretty good odds to the BB and you certainly wouldn't want to play this three-way.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:47 AM

Good point, for some reason I thought you were the BB and the SB was the one that raised you. Not sure why, maybe it's late and I'm more worried about the stars rebuy right now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Like I said originally, I would probably push, but that may be a hole in my game. I almost think you'd need a read on the BB here. I'm curious as to what other 2+2ers think though, as this is a situation I come across a lot as well. I almost always push without a solid read, but that may be a leak...

-Rizen
Old 12-30-2004, 02:47 AM

And yes, I'm flip-flopping more than a certain Senator we've all heard so much about [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Rizen
Old 12-30-2004, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious as to what other 2+2ers think though, as this is a situation I come across a lot as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope others give input as well. I try to post hands that have are more overall strategic versus just "did I screw up this hand". I think this situation comes up quite frequently - your short stack but not absolutely desperate, you have a marginal hand but certainly one that is +EV, and you can wait and earn a little extra cash.

I played my first Stars $10+1 rebuy tonight. Very interesting. I got knocked out around 190 and was card dead for the last hour or so. But it's a cheap way of getting aggression out!
Old 12-30-2004, 03:00 AM

do you ever miss being in the money lloyd?? seems like you are on a pretty good streak in the multi's right now.

keep it up