Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Cash out question

So, I play in several cash games where buy-ins range from $20 to $40. We've never had any problem with being "short" at the end of the night, but we have encountered this problem: never having enough singles. People buy-in with twenties or tens and then cash out for $67.75. Everyone is good about forgetting the $.75, but nobody wants to pay the person $70 and the person doesn't want to take $70. How do you guys handle this? What can you do in advance if you don't live above a bank? Should we keep small change records (ie everything under $5) and pay people short if we have to?

Godfather
Old 12-25-2004, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Cash out question

Why don't you require that people buy a certain percentage of their chips in $1 dollar bills?
Old 12-25-2004, 01:50 PM

Tell them that everyone that doesnt bring $5 in ones gets rounded down to the nearest 5.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:52 PM

Or why don't you think ahead and buy-in for yourself with ones and fives. I also keep a stash of one dollar bills in my house for emergencies.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:59 PM

I typically bring ones to the game I play in, but I will tell you, it sucks large donkey balls when _other people_ don't do it because if i happen to forget, or maybe i can't get to the bank, there's always a crisis. That being said, the others are somehow afraid of one dollar bills and I typically get them back.

-Alpha
Old 12-25-2004, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, I play in several cash games where buy-ins range from $20 to $40. We've never had any problem with being "short" at the end of the night, but we have encountered this problem: never having enough singles. People buy-in with twenties or tens and then cash out for $67.75. Everyone is good about forgetting the $.75, but nobody wants to pay the person $70 and the person doesn't want to take $70. How do you guys handle this? What can you do in advance if you don't live above a bank? Should we keep small change records (ie everything under $5) and pay people short if we have to?

Godfather

[/ QUOTE ]

Back when poker was a scheduled, once a week thing for me, I kept a "poker Tupperware" container. It had my original stake of $100, mostly in $1's and $5's. And lots of coins. I carried that to all my games, or had it near me when I was the bank for the night. Not only did I always have change, but I knew how much I was ahead by subtracting $100 from my bank.

Of course now stakes are a lot more so that's not feasible. So I tend to save $1's and $5's and keep them seperate. When I go play somewhere, I take them as my buyin. I still buyin with big bills, but if the final table (I'm usually there) needs change I have it with me.

Ten
Old 12-25-2004, 02:24 PM

I wrote down shorts on a marker for awhile and it turned into a HUGE pain in the ass. I like the suggestion of people who don't bring $1 bills getting rounded down at the end. I'm usually the guy that brings the $1 and $5 so it's not typically an issue.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:30 PM

Whenever I host a home game, I always make sure to have on hand at least $20 in singles, plus at least a few dollars in quarters (If the ante or minimum bet is going to be less than $1).
Old 12-25-2004, 03:04 PM

The host should always have a bunch of singles since this will almost always happen (or quarters as another poster said, if that's the ante) IMO.

- tomb
Old 12-25-2004, 03:05 PM

In my regular monday night game I have a rack for the regulars and they just rack the odd chips for next week. Each guy has a spot marked for them and they just use the chips the next week. It has worked out really well, as there can be a leftover twenty in the bank, but four guys can have part of that twenty.