Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 02:02 PM

Default Top pair, multi-way pot, out of position, mid to poor kicker

How do you play these hands? Hypothetical examples (from Stars tourneys) with blinds at 15/30, and all relevant stacks somewhere around 1500:

1) 3 limpers, Hero completes in SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], BB checks

Flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

2) 2 limpers, SB completes, Hero is in BB with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

3) One UTG limper, Hero limps in MP with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Button limps, SB completes, BB checks

Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

How do you play pots like these? When unsure of my kicker and out of position in multi-way pots, I'll often check the flop and see what action ensues. If there are no bets, and an unthreatening turn card, I'll usually take a shot at the pot.

You?
Old 12-23-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Top pair, multi-way pot, out of position, mid to poor kicker

I'm not qualified to say much about Stars, but if this was Party my default plays with no reads are something like:

1)Bet 2/3 the pot on the flop and check/call the turn (if it's a rag)
2)Ditto but lean towards check/fold the turn if there are multiple callers or it's a big bet
3)Bet 2/3 the pot on the flop, bet somewhat more on the turn, check the river