Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 12:08 PM

Default These situations puzzle me.

Easy call? What about when you call behind UTG and it is 2 bets back to you, not capped. Generally, when do you fold and when do you call?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero ... ?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Re: These situations puzzle me.

Yes, easy call. You're getting like 9:1.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:23 PM

So this is the easiest fold evar:

Hero in UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero calls, UTG+1 raises, UTG+2 3-bets, folded back to hero.
Assume both opponents are not LAGs nor TAGs, something in between. Anyway, not getting even near the odds I need here so fold?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:28 PM

I would say that is much closer than the first. It's close between call and fold but I would lean towards letting it go. The difference is 99 has a much better chance of holding up unimproved. But not necassarily against a raise &amp; 3-bet.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:37 PM

I think the short answer is not to get into that situation in the first place with a small pair. The 9:1 odds are OK given your roughly 8:1 chance of hitting a set, but then there's a good chance in this case that a set of 4s won't be good enough.

A pair of at least 9s would usually be my own threshold for getting involved UTG + 1. No hard and fast logic to that, except that there's a better chance of you having an overpair and/or being ahead.