Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 12:24 AM

Default I meant to call the blinds, not a raise I swear!!

Playing a SnG to keep my mind occupied while in a MTT.

I'm on the button so if its not raised, I'm going to see this flop.

I go to hit the "pre-call" button right when it gets raised and I end up calling a decent sized raise with a fairly trashy hand.
After this hand EVERYONE was calling my raises and I had all the chips before level 5. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter

MP3 (t595)
CO (t575)
Hero (t940)
SB (t725)
BB (t545)
UTG (t665)
UTG+1 (t585)
MP1 (t2595)
MP2 (t775)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t30, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t100</font>, Hero calls t100, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 calls t70.

Flop: (t375) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t150</font>, Hero calls t150, MP1 folds.

Turn: (t675) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100.

River: (t875) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, CO calls t225 (All-In).

Final Pot: t1350

CO had QQ.

Never flopped quads before....had to post it. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 12-23-2004, 01:09 AM

Default Re: I meant to call the blinds, not a raise I swear!!

Did you remember to type in "I had a feeling" in the chat box?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:27 AM

love it
Old 12-23-2004, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you remember to type in "I had a feeling" in the chat box?

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic
Old 12-23-2004, 03:12 AM

yeh I laughed at this. I bet QQ loved it [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2004, 04:08 AM

Umm, were you really planning to limp with 65o? I understand that you have the button and it's cheap and everything, but...small, unsuited connectors?
Old 12-23-2004, 04:30 AM

if youre trying to learn proper sng play, dont limp with 56. ever. if your wasting time having fun, great hand. great fun.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if youre trying to learn proper sng play

[/ QUOTE ]

I have purchased a $10,000 vechile with my winnings.

I will see the flop for the price of the BB on the button with alot of different hands, its my stlye and it works for me.

Position can be more important than cards, espcially when the flop doesn't hit anyone hard, which is a significant amount of the time.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 12-23-2004, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, were you really planning to limp with 65o? I understand that you have the button and it's cheap and everything, but...small, unsuited connectors?

[/ QUOTE ]

II see a cheap flop with one card on the button. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Regads,
Woodguy
Old 12-23-2004, 12:33 PM

Must be said: regardless of the price tag on the car you bought, you are not above advice.

I won't say it's a hard fast law, but it's generally accepted that constantly limping any two cards on the button, or anywhere else, is a leak in single table tourney play.

You don't seem to be a serious STT player, and it doesn't seem that you posted this hand for advice (not sure what the actual reason is), but since you responded to the advice given by others, I felt I would back it up. Any experienced player will advise against this action at this level of an SnG. Stacks are generally just not deep enough to make tricky plays without endangering significant portions of your stack. There is a longer discussion about the virtues of playing every hand on the button, but it doesn't seem you're interested.

I'm sure you're a very skilled player, and I'll assume that your style of play has "worked for you" in the past. It irks me however, when people justify plays or strategies with an empty declaration of past success. No one questioned how much money you're making from poker, or even questioned how good of a player you are in general. A few people did bring up that you made a questionable play, even if there hadn't been a raise in front of you. If your best defense for that or any other play is to bring up your nice car, I'd say you should think about it a bit more.

There are millionaires and WSOP champions posting on this site. I don't think I've read any posts from them saying that their play was correct because they just bought a yacht. If they did, they just wouldn't be as respectable. Like I said, nothing against you personally, but I didn't like your response. Hope you get my point.

Since I posted this rant, I guess I can't brag about the sweet cell phone I bought recently with my extra poker money. Woops. Just did.

Regards,
Steve