Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 09:07 AM

Default AJo in the SB.

The table has two clear soft spots (the super-loose BB and the super-loose UTG+1) and a bunch of at least reasonably tight schmucks.

Both the BB and UTG+1 are in over 70% of hands (100+ hands), BB tending towards passive, and UTG+1 tending towards aggro.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks.

River: (9 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets with the intention of calling a raise</font>

Normal, eh?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Re: AJo in the SB.

I really dont see how to play it different. The limp reraise could mean any two cards I guess so when you hit the flop you have to bet. If one of them is holding a 6 thats too bad but since they suck, their betting isnt going to tell you anything about their hands. The fact that the turn checks through sucks, but I dont know if a bet would be right there. I would expect super aggro UTG+2 to raise there representing something bogus like a two pair made boat or trip sixes.

I guess if you bet the turn and get raised its probably check the river and call a bet. Otherwise looks good.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:20 AM

preflop: cool

flop: no cap?

turn: going for a c/r or the 6 slow you down? im a micro-er at the moment, but i prefer leading this turn.

river: bet sounds good.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:27 AM

The limp reraise could mean any two cards I guess so when you hit the flop you have to bet.

Do I?

And if the limp-reraise means any two cards, what does the flop 3-bet mean?
Old 12-22-2004, 09:33 AM

turn: going for a c/r or the 6 slow you down?

The six had almost nothing to do with my decision to check the turn.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:43 AM

could you explain to ignorant me why checking the turn is better than betting the turn? through my eyes it just seems like you are ahead enough of the time to bet.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 calls...<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>...<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahaha, way to get in all your money drawing dead...FISH!

I like the flop check raise. Once he 3 bets, as bdk3clash says, this is the part of the hand where I start calling.

When the turn gets checked through I'm just utterly confused. My first though was maybe AKs for UTG+1 and some rando pair(or maybe not, who knows) for BB.

The river bet is pretty easy, but I have a hard time calling a raise here. Based on your reads I don't see either of these guys getting tricky with AK or aggressive enough to raise a worse jack after playing it like that. If I'm raised I'm folding.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:57 AM

I prefer betting the turn - you gave the nutballs a free chance to spike an A, K, or Q, which happened.

But, yes, I would bet the river and call a raise by UTG+1. Maybe not from BB, if he's passive.

EDIT: Ha - misread the hand - an A would be an "ok" card to catch.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:57 AM

After being limp-reraised and 3 bet on the flop TPTK loses a lot of value.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:59 AM

I don't see how you're so convinced these guys (mainly UTG+1) are drawing against your top pair. Based on the action up to the turn I think assuming bison has the best hand an overwhelming majority of the time is ridiculous.