Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2004, 12:16 AM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)
Default Not the best turn card...action?

Villian is not in my database. He has only been there about 2 orbits and nothing out of the ordinary so far.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Not the best turn card...action?

I think it's quite possible neither opponent has an ace. Possibly UTG raised the flop with AJ and was waiting for the turn to pop it again (in which case he doesn't like the turn card either, actually) or had a nut flush draw (and now the nut straight), but I think a made hand like KQ or KJ or QT or even Kx was also quite possible. (So is AK, but it seems likely he would have raised that preflop.)

MP3 may have been slowplaying AJ on the flop, but I think it's more likely that he has something like JT or QJ or a flush draw. He could have something like AT or Ax too, though.

I didn't know how to play the turn when I first read this post last night, and I still don't know. I think I'd bet, planning to fold to a raise and also planning to feel uncomfortable on the river if I just get called (well, unless a non-heart ace falls).

Anyway, if no one has an ace, I don't want to give any two pair or flush draw hands a free card. Also, there is some chance a bet will take it right here and I'll eliminate the risk of getting further counterfeited on the river.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:21 PM

I think bet and fold to a raise would be good here. An opponent would be hard pressed to raise you here without an Ace.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:21 AM

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I think you can check-fold. Someone asked who would raise without an ace. I up the ante and ask who would bet without an ace? Wouldn't UTG worry that MP3 is waiting with an ace? Would he expect you to fold after 3-betting the flop?

What about MP3? He just witnessed a cat fight on the flop and now he thinks he can sneak a bluff past both of you?

Obviously it could happen anyway. But I don't think it's +EV to show this hand down if someone musters the courage to bet. The pot isn't that big compared to 2 BB.

Subtle point: who would raise you without an ace? A thoughtful and observant player, that's who. You say you have an ace? Where is the hand you played the last two streets with? A bluff or semibluff raise would be a great shot here.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:36 AM

Location: Pittsburgh Pa (North Suburb called Cranberry Township)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm very sorry for your loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet, utg raises, the other dude folded and I folded as well. I hope it didn't come off as a bad beat, because that was not the intention. If there is a set or flush draw out there, I was dodging a lot of cards anyway, so I knew I had to play it fast.

It was a moment of deer in the headlights when that card fell, because I couldn't think of very many hands that utg would limp with that had an ace. As a matter of fact, I am having a tough time trying to think of a hand that he would limp utg with (QJs, maybe Q10s, KQo? does he limp with AJo?) that he was going to try and raise to blast the field out (I wouldn't think that he would raise an ace high flush draw blow everyone out, maybe 3 bet when back to him). With all of the flop action, I am comfortable that he had an ace, I just can't figure out what hand it was that he could have been that excited about on the flop (I think he would have capped AJo on the flop with the flush potential). He only had 3% preflop raise and saw 21% of the flops (I just looked at his stats over 33 hands - not available at the time of the hand - so he wasn't maniacal and it seems that his starting standards were pretty reasonable (ex post facto view). with those numbers (21/3) what hand do you think he had? AKo, AQo?

After going to war on the flop and that card came, I wasn't sure if it was too weak to check fold or bet and fold comfortably to a raise. Thanks for the feedback.

Kevin
Old 12-23-2004, 05:05 AM

Given his 21/3 stats and the way he played the hand postflop, I think there's a good chance UTG had AKo. I do think some other hands (such as an AJ he was hoping to raise again on the turn) are also possible, though.

With 21/3 stats, I'd imagine all of the other hands you mentioned besides AK (QJs, QTs, KQo, AJo, and AQo) are potential limping hands for him when UTG. (He may not play those hands the same way preflop every single time he gets them in early position, though.)
Old 12-23-2004, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope it didn't come off as a bad beat

[/ QUOTE ]
Not at all. It is a good hand.