Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 06:18 AM

Default Lots of action: a hand-reading excercise.

PokerStars $3/$6 full game. I'm playing a bunch of tables but I have enough of a read on the guy to my left to know that he isn't much for bluffing; if he's acting strong, he's strong. I'm not saying he's good, just straightforward.

I get red nines in the big blind. The action is limped all the way around to me. This is the first family pot I have seen in a long time.

The flop: 295 with two clubs.

The small blind checks, I check and the action is checked to a late position player who bets. Two people call and I check-raise. The player directly to my left calls two cold, the bettor three-bets, I cap, the person to my left calls two more cold and when all is said and done, four of us see the turn.

The turn: 7 of not-clubs.

I bet out. Now the player to my left wakes up and raises. The tagalong player folds and the aggressor from last street calls two cold. I three-bet, the player to my left caps and the third player calls two more cold. I call.

The river: 2 of not-clubs.
Final board: 29572

I bet, the player to my left raises, late position calls two cold, I three-bet, player to my left caps, late position calls two cold and I call.

So, what cards were we holding and how did we play them? This was a hell of a hand given the generally weak-tight texture of the PokerStars $3/$6 game.

SpaceAce
Old 12-20-2004, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Lots of action: a hand-reading excercise.

"I get red nines in the big blind."
"So, what cards were we holding..."

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you had 99. What the hell, I'll be specific and put you on 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Guy on your left should have 22 or 55 here, more likely 55.

Since I don't know the exact flop, tag-along player could have a lame overpair like TT or JJ or something like A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], something like that.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:08 AM

seems pretty obvious that the aggro has 55....could possibly have 77.....The cold caller has a flush draw with the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in his hand.....he could have the 7 and 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I'm not sure what this post is for though....pretty standard hand here....congrats on the large pot...
Old 12-20-2004, 10:49 AM

I prefer betting, not checkraising the flop, hoping for a raise, seeing where I am in relation to it, and planning the rest of the flop/my turn action appropriately.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:37 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

if you lost to quad 2s then it's the poker gods getting back at you for raising 22 UTG at our 2+2 2/4 table back in March and flopping quads against JSD's AA [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2004, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I get red nines in the big blind."
"So, what cards were we holding..."

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you had 99. What the hell, I'll be specific and put you on 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Guy on your left should have 22 or 55 here, more likely 55.

Since I don't know the exact flop, tag-along player could have a lame overpair like TT or JJ or something like A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, by the time I noticed, I couldn't edit.

SpaceAce
Old 12-21-2004, 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seems pretty obvious that the aggro has 55....could possibly have 77.....The cold caller has a flush draw with the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in his hand.....he could have the 7 and 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I'm not sure what this post is for though....pretty standard hand here....congrats on the large pot...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not quite that straightforward. If I hadn't botched and posted what I held, the mystery would be a bit deeper. Results coming soon.

SpaceAce
Old 12-21-2004, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer betting, not checkraising the flop, hoping for a raise, seeing where I am in relation to it, and planning the rest of the flop/my turn action appropriately.

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered this but with the clubs out, I was hoping to get in some bets right there and possibly force some of the players to call two cold.

SpaceAce
Old 12-21-2004, 09:13 AM

My guess is that lefty limped with 77, 55, 22 or 6c8c. Ac9c is out for me because of his raise on the turn together with your "straightforward not strong" read. I lean to 68c because that gives him more incentive (13 outs to a strong hand) to call the flop cold. That would explain him raising the turn with a made staight. I would have to ask myself if he's the type of player who'd limp with a hand like that from ep - or would he only limp with a small pair?

I also guess that your lp preflop raiser has a decent overpair that he is hoping will hold up. I don't put him on a flush draw because of his calling down on the river.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:19 AM

I completely agree with that check. You can almost be sure someone will bet with that many limpers.