Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 09:59 PM

Default A6s makes top pair on the flop, facing an odd turn bet.

I'm new to NL, so it's very likely I did lots of stupid things in this hand. Villain has yet to get out of line from what I've seen, but he hasn't been sitting at the table for long.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

Hero ($42.6)
MP3 ($12.15)
CO ($26.3)
Button ($21.8)
SB ($71.95)
BB ($20.5)
UTG ($24.5)
UTG+1 ($14.95)
UTG+2 ($14.6)
MP1 ($15)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, CO folds, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $0.75</font>, BB calls $0.50, MP1 calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50.

Flop: ($6) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, MP3 folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls $4, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($14) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $7</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $21
Old 12-20-2004, 12:43 AM

Default Re: A6s makes top pair on the flop, facing an odd turn bet.

Looks fine to me.

I might not have called with A6s preflop in that position, as I'm learning to devalue the low suited aces -- basically a low chance to hit and a poor payoff when they do due to everyone's nervousness about the flush. But maybe I'm overdoing it -- your call is hardly crazy or anything.

On the flop I'd prefer to be in later position to bet that, but fair enough: you're taking a reasonable shot at picking it up right there. When you don't pick it up, everything changes and you should be on the alert. On the turn, it could be anything, including something as simple as the villain hitting a ten. Good fold.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:21 PM

Default Re: A6s makes top pair on the flop, facing an odd turn bet.

Good fold. You have to be acutely aware that when the board falls with 56, 67, 78, 89, that these combos are especially prone to someone flopping two pair since these connectors are popular. Also with so many limpers you could be against a somewhat pasively played flopped straight.

A pair of 6's isnt going to take down too many full ring family pots. I might not have bet this on the flop at all. You want to keep the pot small in this case and hope for a cheap showdown or free cards to improve with.