Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2004, 02:50 PM

Default bluffing the weak player!

early stages of an 8 person sit-n-g0. we each started with t1000. second hand of the tournament with blinds 10/20 UTG raises to 50. UTG is a weak LAG player that always fires the flop if he raised. MP calls and Im on the button with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and i call; SB also calls.
Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]- 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]- 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]:
UTG bets 100. MP folds. I decide to test if he really came in with an ace and raised it to 325. He thinks about it for a good while and calls.
Turn: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Now for anyone with an ace- strong, which was what i placed UTG on, that is a real scare card.
Would it be a reasonable move to push it in after this card, even though UTG is a weak player? or do you think that fact that i raised on the flop he wont put me on any of those made draws and i should just give up my bluff?
Old 12-18-2004, 04:07 PM

Default Re: bluffing the weak player!

What's the buy-in?
Old 12-18-2004, 05:31 PM

It can't possibly be worth testing if he has an A or not after that flop. I'm not really sure what you're doing considering this is an early stage of the SNG. I don't really care what limit you're playing as raising him cannot be a good idea here. IMO your play after the flop is reckless and a big leak. Calling with 66 preflop is fine if you're playing for set value -- and I don't see your set after the flop.

I'm not making that flop bluff even if I've played with UTG 100 times and *know* that he could hold anything -- it's just not worth it at an early stage. Even a random hand figures to have an A,8,9 or two spades a good % of the time.

Yugoslav
Old 12-18-2004, 06:24 PM

I think that bluffing this early in any sng isn't worth it, but putting that aside... what are you trying to represent? It was a draw-licious flop, yet you reraised. Wouldn't one assume that you are NOT on a draw, and that you want to drive the people on draws out? So when that 10 of spades hits, what rationale do you have to push? If I was an observer during this hand, I would be much more inclined to put UTG on a draw, and you on the strong ace.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It can't possibly be worth testing if he has an A or not after that flop. I'm not really sure what you're doing considering this is an early stage of the SNG. I don't really care what limit you're playing as raising him cannot be a good idea here. IMO your play after the flop is reckless and a big leak. Calling with 66 preflop is fine if you're playing for set value -- and I don't see your set after the flop.

I'm not making that flop bluff even if I've played with UTG 100 times and *know* that he could hold anything -- it's just not worth it at an early stage. Even a random hand figures to have an A,8,9 or two spades a good % of the time.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]
Well said.

Always avoid win small lose big scenarios.